How will current apps look on the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nikos, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Non retina apps looked quite pixelated on the iPhone 4. How will current apps look on the new iPad? With such a large jump in resolution, I'm afraid they might look really bad and we'll have to wait for our favorite apps to be updated.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They definitely won't look as good as updated apps.

Good news is that any developer with a head on their shoulders should have been prepared well in advance with retina dpi images for their iPad apps.

First, it's obvious looking at the iPhone that it was at least a future possibility, and second it's been rumored specifically to come to the iPad since the lead up to the iPad 2 launch.

I bet that lots and lots of major apps will be updated to retina quality as soon as their updates go through the approval process.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It'll be the exact same result as what is seen for non-retina apps on the 4/4S, because the pixel density was increased by the same percentage as the iPhone.

4. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Non-retina apps will look like they do on an iPad 2, but with OS elements at the new res. That will start to look poor as you get used to the new res. Many will get updated quickly, but some will take a long time. The Met Office (the UK weather service) app has only just gone retina on the iPhone. That is an example of how long it can take.

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

Text will look massively better in all apps from Day 1 (with a few exceptions, in-app text is rendered by the OS, not the app). It will be like going from a 90's era dot matrix printer to a modern laser printer.

People are focused on the image quality they will get with the retina display, but what most are missing is just how much more readable text will be, and how important that is. Apple gets it -- one of the first things they demo on their web page about the new display is text quality in iBooks. Check it out yourself.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

I will enjoy reading books much more, and I'll be able to view PDFs for business fully zoomed out (a whole page on the screen) and even if the letters are small they will be extremely legible.