How will I buy a iPhone 4 from Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pnt101, Aug 3, 2010.

1. pnt101 macrumors member

pnt101

I don't really know how to do this so I'm just asking for some help I'm planning on buying a 16GB no commitment price for $599. Here's my questions.

Do I just ask them to sell for me off contract?

Also I heard about the free Zagg for the attenae area, how do I get into that?

Last one is that will they activate the phone meaning that it will get passed the insert sim screen? After that I can jailbreak then unlock once its out?

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to be an AT&T customer and tell them you want to purchase it no commitment full price.
    They will activate it with your AT&T sim and you're on your way.

3. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

find someone at the at&t or apple store that will put his sim into your phone and activate it, possibly slip them a 20.

5. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

Lol, I know someone with a ATT sim but I dont to be cutting up their sim =\. Best Buy wont activate for me?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They wont even sell it to you if you dont have an account with AT&T.
    Under who's sim will bestbuy activate it for you? You can ask the girl behind the counter to use her sim and her account to buy it under but I doubt she'll go for it :D

7. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

Whats really the point of buying off contract then??

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, its dumb :D
    You can buy it full price so you dont have to sign a contract with them but you still have to be an AT&T customer and activate it on an AT&T account.
    You should grab one of those officially unlocked iphone 4's from Canada if you can find them on ebay or if you know someone in Canada.
    They're only a little more expensive than the US iphones but you can activate them with any sim and they're forever unlocked. No need to wait for unlocks or be carefull not to restore or update and get locked out etc...

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You are not eligible for early upgrade?

Are they pre paid or post paid. If post then go with them to Best Buy and have them buy the iPhone for you.

Depending on how lucky you get, when you connect it to iTunes, you could activate the phone but not the new micro sim. So then you would be golden, but if the microsim does get activated, just get them a new minisim or put that new micosim into a minisim adapter

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, or go to AT&T and tell them to switch/transfer the microsim info into a regural sim for your friend or get them a microsim adapter.

11. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

Ok how bout this, I buy the phone, take it home, use a unactive ATT sim to get pass the insert sim page. Then I jailbreak and use the unlock(coming out tonight from what planetbeing and musclenerd said) and then take out the unactive ATT sim and insert my chopped up Tmobile sim. Will that work?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What part of they will not sell you an iphone without beeing an AT&T customer dont you understand again?
    The iphone will need to be activated for the first time on the account it was purchased under. Itunes will ask you for the zip code and the last 4 digits of the social security number of the accountholder.
    No way to get around that initial activation with an old AT&T sim.
    After you first activate it then you can use any unactive AT&T sims to activate it but the first time you gotta have it activated on the account it was purchased under.

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You need an AT&T account to buy the Phone tho, unless you buy it 2nd hand on ebay or craigslist. In which case it may already be activated.

14. JRML970 macrumors member

Exactly what I did. The AT&T sim that comes with the iPhone will activate it just fine. Just waiting for the unlock. BTW you can purchase an iPhone 4 at the no-commitment pricing from an Apple store without an existing or new contract. They even let me pay with cash.

15. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

Can I do what you did at the Apple store but at best buy?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When it asked you for your billing zip code and last 4 of your social what did you put in?
    And Apple does not sell iphone 4's to non-existing AT&T customers.
    You just must have an AT&T Wireless ACCOUNT to buy a no-commitment iPhone.
    You can't walk in and buy one if you are not a current AT&T Wireless Subscriber. If someone walked in and bought one who is not an AT&T Wireless subscriber it was in error and the person who sold it could be fired on the spot as it violates Company policy.
    So your case was the exception and not the rule.

17. JRML970 macrumors member

No. You can only purchase one without ANY contract from an Apple Store.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So much bad information on this thread is crazy:D
    Go for it OP and let us know how far you got.

19. pnt101 thread starter macrumors member

pnt101

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, Im done trying to educate you cause you're obviously clueless and wont accept the truth when its not what you want to hear.
    What those sites say is you can buy an iphone 4 without contract,no-commitment,Unsubsidized. Obviously we all knew that.
    You can buy it without a contract but you still have to be AN AT&T CUSTOMER.
    Go find out yourself at bestbuy or Apple then.

21. JRML970 macrumors member

It didn't ask for my SSN because the sim was never activated. I walked out with it still sealed. And my case isn't unique because it's been documented all over the web that this does indeed work as many others have done the same. I've purchased every version of the iPhone this way and I've never been an AT&T customer.

22. psblake macrumors member

I bought a 32 gb iphone 4 without giving any info at all to Bestbuy. Just went in and said I want one. Sold it to me for 699. I ended up selling it on ebay so I never activated it. But I know for a fact you CAN buy one without an ATT account. Now activating is another issue I cannot speak to.

23. JRML970 macrumors member

I have receipts if you'd like to see them. And from the sound of it apparently you can also buy from BestBuy. I haven't tried myself, nor heard of anyone else besides psblake, but it's worth a try. Good luck

24. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

If you can buy it without an AT&T account and it asks for ATT info to activate the phone then you can try using something like this to bypass that.