How Will India Users Activate Their iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zainjetha, May 16, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi,

just curious... theres no itunes store in india yet, so just wondering how indian users will activate their iPhones? any chance of india getting an iTS?
    just that apple may have to deviate from their usual way here..

zain.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I activated my iPhone so many months ago I can't remember, but does activation require iTunes store or just iTunes (app)?

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

when i activated my iphone, which was 2 weeks ago.. i did not have to go into the itunes store to activate, i just needed an intenet connection and itunes, it never once seemed to access the store.. then again, i'm no expert - my assumption would be that you COULD activate it anywhere you have a cpu with itunes, hacking it is another story though

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Just the app. Activation happens through the device icon for your iPhone on the left column, not through the iTMS icon.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You DO NEED the iTunes store to activate the iPhone. I remember when the iPhone came out, a lot of people would get the message "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" and thus couldn't activate it.

You could always unlock your iPhone though..

6. drb6 macrumors regular

Surely there will be a workaround by the time the official release happens

7. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

possible in-store activation? i think this may happen.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Sounds like a question that really has no merit until Apple officially announces that the iphone is for sale in that country. Once that happens, it is pretty unlikely that Apple will require customers there to unlock, jailbreak, or travel to another country to activate their phone. Just be patient.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd guess Apple will allow iTunes in India to set the phone up.(or set it up like other phones)

There won't be a store, but thats ok, because you don't "use" the store part, you just go through it. Apple can set it up, were you go through the store, and set up the phone.