How will ipad be used without a table to set it on.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eplchamps0305, Feb 2, 2010.

1. eplchamps0305 macrumors member

If I am sitting on my couch and I want to type an email, or if I am on a train or bus etc, how would I be able to type on it. It won't stay upright on my lap. Does this mean I would have to hold it with one hand and type with the other, or would have to lay it flat on my laps and bend foward to type.

2. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

Once you buy one of the 70,000 silicone sleeves that will come out for it, the silicone will make it "stick" to your legs as you lay on the couch. Just enough friction to keep it from sliding.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

People seriously can't figure this out by themselves? You can hold it however you want... on your lap, in one hand, whatever works.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, this is how you would have to do it.

5. eplchamps0305 thread starter macrumors member

seems kind of uncomfortable

6. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Hold it in your left hand and type with your right hand.

7. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

Get a girl friend to help:D Pur fert table top.

8. eplchamps0305 thread starter macrumors member

Typing with one hand will take forever.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

How about a bluetooth keyboard on my lap and an iPad propped up on the coffee table in front of me? Of course, for typing urls or short messages it will be the same thing I have to do with my iPod touch now, hold it in one hand and peck with one finger using the other hand.

Sitting with it on your lap and staring down on it to type would lead to a lot of neck pain. I think people are missing something that is being left unsaid by Apple: The iPad is intended as a viewer more than as an input device. Sure, you can type on the thing, but it is better suited for watching movies or reading ebooks (if you don't mind the backlight).

10. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Well then put it in your lap and type with two hands.

11. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Then why are they going to all the trouble developing iWorks for it?

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

There are actually 12 models available, b/c the original 6 are also going to be available in anti-gravity models.

13. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

Wear Cargo pants. The little pocket flaps will hold up the ipad nicely.

14. iSlate Fanboy macrumors member

The case which Steve announced last week may actually work quite well but I'm sure 3rd party cases will offer a better solution as the Apple one seems a little 'cheap' and flimsy looking!

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

stands

You can either buy them, make them, or just look around your place as you probably have something that works well already.

I have lots of various tablet/Kindle stands and the most useful are probably cheap, light weight book stands as they can be used for a variety of things

16. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

I think you got it exactly right. Certain forms of input (e.g., text) will be difficult to do with the iPad. I am unsure whether Apple intended this or not; this may be something they will improve in a later iteration.

17. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

What trouple? Apple gets to sell you another product.

18. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I think they expect people to "tweak" their iworks content on the iPad. Do you remember when Steve Jobs said "And if you want to write War and Peace..." just before showing the keyboard dock? To me he was implying that serious text input requires a real keyboard.

There are fresh rumors about a handwriting recognition feature in an upcoming model and even a (post iPad) rumor about a tablet Mac. I hope Apple decides to do this. While I might opt for iPad for cost reasons, it would be great to have a $999 version with 128 gig of internal storage, a bundled bt keyboard and OS X with tablet extensions borrowed from iPhone OS. After all, iPhone OS is supposed to be a branch off of the OS X code tree.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Why one finger? I usually use at least two or three on my Touch. You can get pretty fast at doing that (as long as you keep an eye on that auto-correct).