How will iphone/watch deconflict activity?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    The iPhone and Apple watch both track steps, elevation, etc. But what if they don't show the same data? For example, if I leave my phone somewhere while I walk around... then later I'm charging the watch but walking around with my iPhone.... and then even while carrying both there could easily be minor discrepencies between the two.

I'd like to think that the software is smart enough to deconflict these issues, but does anyone know?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am pretty sure it is your phones that does all the work. It has the sensors that tell if you are walking and not your watch. The watch just mirrors what you phone has. If you go walking with out your phone on your person, you are not walking according to your phone. You watch will tell you the time!

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The watch will track steps without the phone.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Why not? If both record steps at the same time the :apple:Watch will likely be the default since arm swing by the :apple:Watch while walking is more accurately measurement for steps. If your iPhone tracks steps during a time your :apple:Watch doesn't, then it would record. And of course if your :apple:Watch recorded steps when your iPhone doesn't then it would record.

Seems straight forward to me.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

My current Pebble watch has a pedometer that tracks steps and syncs with my iPhone health app. There is also a setting for preferred device. When I walk with both my Pebble and iPhone together it does not double steps.

6. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

how does your pebble track steps? Do you have something special downloaded?

7. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

This is a good question and one that I've often wondered. I believe there's a Reddit thread (sorry, I don't have the link right now) where this is being discussed so it might also be worth looking there. The watch is also able to count steps without an iPhone so I'm not sure which source takes priority. I guess, as some people have mentioned, you can choose a preferred device to write your steps back to the Health app. If not, I wonder if it averages the steps out or something. That sounds kind of clunky but I guess we don't know for sure yet so it could work any way. We'll all know soon enough, though. :)

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yes, The Misfit app. It's free and syncs data to the iOS health app.