How will IPX open if I do not want to lock it or use FaceID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bag302, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Bag302 macrumors regular

I feel that FaceID will likely be less convenient for me that TouchID. Many times I use TouchID to unlock while it's sitting flat on my desk. Basically one push with my finger and that's it. I don't want to have to pick up the phone and align my face every time I want to open it.

Since I don't really need to lock the phone, will the Iphone X open with just a swipe up or?

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

From the keynote, you have to be looking at the phone...sorry.

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

4. Bag302 thread starter macrumors regular

That's not so bad

5. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

If you noticed at the keynote, FaceID only verifies that it's you -- it doesn't actually get you past the lock screen. You still have to do that yourself by swiping up. So, if you don't use FaceID, all you have to do is swipe up. Although, it can be argued that since you'll be looking at the phone anyway, why not use FaceID?

For what it's worth, I don't use the fingerprint scanner on my phone. And I never used passcodes before that. :p

6. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Sorry, this was if you are using Face ID.

7. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

If you don't set up face ID all you do is swipe up, I don't think I'm using face ID...I mean I'll test it but most likely i'll stick with the 4 number password or not put a password at all.

8. davelees76 macrumors member

That seems really inconvenient or insecure to me, depending on what you pic.

You're crazy if you dont have some sort of lock on your phone, and who wants to enter a passcode each time?

Neither option seems ideal to me?

9. Bag302 thread starter macrumors regular

While at work, my phone is generally 2 feet or so to my side (within arms reach) and I presume faceID will not be able to scan from there.

10. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Fair enough. Looking at the photo that TroyBoy30 posted (from Apple's website) does make you ponder -- at how wide of an angle will FaceID work? The girl in the photo isn't looking at her phone head-on. Would it work within "arms reach" as you describe? Hard to say. I'm guessing that it won't work past a ~45 degree or greater angle.