Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haleigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm definitely going to buy one, but I am curious how it'll handle being outside in the sun for a period of time. I know my phone has turned itself off a few times because of the heat and so I'm curious how the watch will be able to take it.
Has anyone heard anything about this? Like if it can withstand hotter temps?

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
That's a good question. I'm sure it will have an operating temperature listed on the spec page when it's released.

I currently have the original Pebble and it seems to not care at all about where it's at. I use it in the pool, in over 100°F weather outside in the sun, in subzero conditions outside, and never had an issue. But the pebble is MUCH different than the Apple watch.

Interested to see, but I'm sure they've engineered it best they can as it's on you all the time anywhere you will be.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
If anything I don't recommend taking it off and leaving it in your car when it's hot outside lol. It would be like putting a hot seat belt buckle on your wrist, but I know we are all smarter than that here. :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
For what it's worth, in the special report from ABC, they did show the reporter visiting Apple's secret fitness lab and they have different rooms at different temperatures that simulate the different climates the watch will be used in. I'm pretty sure Apple has kept this in mind during the R&D process.

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/21/apple-watch-abc-nightline/

That is true, however, direct midday summer sun shining onto a black screen and a black watch will make it get very hot.
I'm sure, given the fact it's designed for the American market, it will be fully tested and be able to handle summer sunshine temps.
Would be stupid to have to take a watch off due to heat.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
That is true, however, direct midday summer sun shining onto a black screen and a black watch will make it get very hot.
I'm sure, given the fact it's designed for the American market, it will be fully tested and be able to handle summer sunshine temps.
Would be stupid to have to take a watch off due to heat.

Yeah, I would like to believe they've thought this out very throughly. Our summers can be very brutal (as well as our winters) so I would be surprised if these watches can't withstand the elements we typically subject our wearables to. As a Floridian, that's the first thing that came to mind.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah, I would like to believe they've thought this out very throughly. Our summers can be very brutal (as well as our winters) so I would be surprised if these watches can't withstand the elements we typically subject our wearables to. As a Floridian, that's the first thing that came to mind.

I am always impressed with cars in the summer.
You leave your car out in the sun all day, and get inside, the surfaces, are too hot to touch, steering wheel red hot the radio is red hot all scorching, and yet it all works fine.

Always impressed by that :)

Phillybizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
As someone who spends quite a bit of time in Arizona in summer.. This is a great point. We shall have to wait and see.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
If you leave it sit on a table in direct sunlight, it probably will act in a similar fashion to the iPhone. That is, turn off. You would also be an idiot for doing that. On your wrist? It should be fine because it won't get direct sunlight, and the movement of your wrist through the air would probably be enough to keep it cool enough to operate it.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I live in Miami and am getting the space black SS at launch (hooray tax return!), I'll let you know if it has problems or melts my wrist off :) It's already in the low 80's these days here, so if there are heat/humidity issues, we'll be among the first to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.