How will Ivy Bridge compare to Sandy Bridge

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stupidonkey34, Jul 1, 2011.

1. stupidonkey34 macrumors newbie

I'm really thinking MBA but if a new chipsize comes out for the first time next year I want to know the comparisons. Being a smaller size how big of a performance boost will come with this? And is it true that they will be out next year?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Less sand, more ivy. That's how. :p

I'm curious if the Ivy Bridge "3D transistors" will be ready to go at launch and what impact that will have. If it is what they say they are, then I'd think that Ivy Bridge might be a large step forward for computers.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

4. Cosmo Kramer macrumors member

doubt it, thunderbolt will tho

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I honestly wouldn't expect that much of a difference between SB and IB besides maybe a bit less heat, and a little bit more speed, since IB is really just a die-shrink. The next real spec bump will come later.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

We are not even 100% sure which sandy bridge CPUs the upcoming MBA will use so I don't know how anyone can draw any conclusions or comparisons between two non-existent products.

7. Monkeychemist macrumors member

you're expecting C2D?

8. Phil96 macrumors newbie

Judging from Apple's late implementation of Sandy Bridge in their current Macbooks and iMac, I think you should consider that it might take at least one additional year after release date for Apple to actually use Ivy Bridge.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Huh? The MBP was the first to use mobile SB CPUs. The wait for MBA was because of waiting for the appropriate low voltage CPUs and now lion as well.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

So you know exactly which low voltage SB CPUs apple is going to use?

11. Monkeychemist macrumors member

no, but I'm sure that Apple is going to go with current technology and not an outdated one.

12. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

You need to read the posts you quote. :)

13. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Just don't forget about the microarchitectures and die shrinks to follow: Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, and Skymont ;)

EDIT: Source = Wikipedia

14. ethan86, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

ethan86 macrumors member

I'm interested in seeing what the graphics preformence of Ivy Bridge will be like. I keep hearing it will be better than Sandy Bridge, but I'd like to know how much better (probably won't know either until much later this year).

15. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

The dilemma of waiting

There will always be a better spec on the horizon, particularly on 'rumour' based websites.

When the next iteration of the MBA comes out, you will need to decide if it meets your needs, if not don't buy one - but it'll be at least 9 months or so to the next one.
    :cool:

16. will, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

will macrumors regular

The move from Core 2 Duo to Sandy Bridge should roughly double CPU performance* at the same clock speed. The change from Sandy to Ivy is much more incremental (based on what Intel has said thus far).

To give a simple example, take the last two 13" MacBook Pros:

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2010)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz (2 cores)
    64-bit Geekbench score: 3661

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)
    Intel Core i5-2415M 2.3 GHz (2 cores)
    64-bit Geekbench score: 6448

From http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

Provided Apple make good choices on the rest of the spec, Sandy Bridge should make for a great Air. I wouldn't expect to see major performance improvements until Haswell (due 2013).

*Actual application performance won't double and the performance of games may be lower due to the use of Intel integrated graphics over Nvidia.

17. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel confirmed that Thunderbolt won't be integrated in 7-series chipsets, but USB 3.0 will.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4406/correction-ivy-bridge-and-thunderbolt-featured-not-integrated

The successor of Intel HD 3000 (i.e. IB's IGP) will have 16 EUs whereas the Intel HD 3000 has 12 EUs. That is a 33% increase, assuming that everything else stays the same. Since we have no idea about the clock speeds, it's impossible to make any accurate predictions, your guess is as good as mine. I would expect at least 30% increase though.