How will my MBP's performance fare in 4 years?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swift Sketcher, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

I've been a PC guy until just a few weeks ago when I got my first Mac, which is absolutely the best computer I've ever used. But with a PC over the years, the build up and the clutter manage to clog up performance. Should I expect my MBP to run as fast as the day I got it in 4 years time, or will it suffer from performance deterioration? Am I going to have to do a clean install in a couple of years?

I have a 2.2 SR 15'' MBP.

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Every so often is good to reinstall. I do it like every 2 years. It helps.

3. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

rule of thumb for using a pc is to format the drive and reinstall the OS every year and defragment daily. That always worked for me.

With a mac it defragments itself continually. I'd reinstall osx maybe once in 4 years... it doesn't seem to get too bogged down. Then again I've only had a mac since june.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i got a powerbook 4 years ago with 10.2. i moved to a macbook pro last year. all the while i've been upgrading the OS install each time there was an update, without a fresh reinstall. i guess there was technically a reinstall when i went to the macbook pro, but it took my user folder from the old machine, which carries a lot of stuff with it. if theres a system that should be bogged down, it's mine, and it still "scrolls like butter".

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It is my own paranoia that causes me to reinstall OS X and zero out the HD every eight months. :eek:

Amazing how much clutter builds up in one's system.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You certainly don't need to defrag daily monthly maybe but not daily that won't have any affect at all.

7. chariotofFIRE macrumors member

I wonder if my MBP would die out in 3 years... Wouldnt mind if it did though :rolleyes:;)