How will old apps look on iPhone 5 and 4-inch screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Mar 22, 2011.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

Let's say the rumors are true - the iPhone 5 will have a 4 inch screen. Will old apps be stretched out and look ugly? Or will old apps keep their size and there will just be 0.5 inches of unused space?

2. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

I would imagine it will be like iPad, and you will have a choice to run in original scale, or run it enlarged

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If this rumor IS true and I highly doubt it, you will hardly be able to tell if it is stretched.

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Wouldn't the resolution be the same just the screen would be slightly bigger so everything would look exactly the same.

No way apple releases a phone that the existing apps do not look wonderful on.

5. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Would it still be a retina display then?

6. FortMOney macrumors member

I think someone did the math and the ppi would be 288, which wouldn't be apple's definition of "retina," but it would be good enough for me at least to warrant a larger screen. I like the current screen but I would LOVE a 4" screen

7. sufferrar macrumors member

They may sacrifice the retina to keep a compatible resolution so that all apps will work full screen with all devices.

8. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

in a way it would be nice to keep the same ppi retina resolution, and just have the apps stretched across it, although you prob wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the resolution with the naked eye

9. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'm the one who did the math that the ppi would be 288, which is still pretty high. I don't recall what the conclusion was that we came to, but if you hold the device a foot from your face (the distance Apple used to define a "Retina Display"), the ppi should still surpass your eyes' ability to discern individual pixels. Not to mention you'd prob hold it slightly further from your face anyway because of the larger screen.

In short, the display would look almost similar, and apps would look great.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

the resolution will likely stay the same, but the size of the screen will just be bigger. it won't be as sharp, but people will get the 4" screen they've been crying about :rolleyes:

or... they could always increase the resolution and remake the apps (just like last year)

11. patp Guest

Wouldn't Apple incorporate API's that auto scale and or maximize the resolution for an app once new iOS drops?

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

According to the CAD drawings, 4" won't fit. Not if they keep the same aspect ratio.

They could cheat a bit and make the screen taller but make all the apps run in the center - keeping the same aspect ration. This wouldn't give you a true 4" screen (where it counts), but it would give them room to tuck title blocks and notifications out of the way of the 'meat' of the display. In effect, you'd have a 3.8" screen with title and notifications on top.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

And do you know for a fact that the next iPhone will have a 4-inch screen?

No.

You don't.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It makes absolutely no sense for them to decrease the resolution of the new phone.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't see them doing a non "retina" display on the next iPhone. The iPhone 4 was a huge upgrade all around, but the retina display was something they really focused on. To take a step backwards just doesn't make sense. Although I was surprised the iPad 2 did not get a retina display (or even the option) the iPad never had it in the first place. I think from now on we will see Retina displays on all new iPhones. Until they re-name the displays to the next big thing that is.

I'm hoping for that 4 inch screen, but I am ok if we don't see it.

16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The current 3.5" "retina" screen is 326ppi (pixels per inch).

Variations according to size:
    3.7" = 308.39ppi
    3.8" = 300.24ppi
    3.9" = 292.42ppi
    4.0" = 285.25ppi

Technically, the human eye cannot descern anything above 300ppi, so Apple could do 3.8" and still call it "retina". And really, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference at 285ppi.

17. huskerchad macrumors regular

18. FortMOney macrumors member

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why is everyone so opposed to a slightly wider iPhone???? Is is that big of a deal to keep the form factor the exact same???

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

not for me. I'm ok with it changing a little. My one buddy has a droid (not sure which model) and the screen is HUGE. Like, too huge and it's uncomfortable in your pocket. I would like a bigger screen, but not like that.

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The screen would be longer but it wouldn't be wider. There isn't enough room to make it wider. It will look unproportioned with same width but longer screen.

21. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I find it funny that people assume there's no room for a 4 inch screen based on the iPhone 4 dimensions, considering we're talking about the iPhone 5 which nobody has seen yet..

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

LOL .... Good point.