Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Pre ordered the 6+ in 16gb.... Having buyers remorse that I didn't get the 64gb, but I'm wondering how apple will handle the return since I would assume it's going to take longer than 14days to get a 64gb 6+

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Pre ordered the 6+ in 16gb.... Having buyers remorse that I didn't get the 64gb, but I'm wondering how apple will handle the return since I would assume it's going to take longer than 14days to get a 64gb 6+

If you are determined on a 64GB then just return the 16GB when it arrives. Wait a month and order a 64GB.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
AT&T rep told me today that Apple does charge a $35 restocking fee for opened iPhones. Of course no charge for unopened boxes. I am getting the 6 Plus and was worried about the size. I doubt considering the demand for the Plus Apple will refuse to swap them out for 6 units if they have the size color combo you want. But I also know I want to open it and use it before I decide.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Apple usually makes you send anything ordered online to some return center in California. They won't accept online stuff at the retail stores. So you'd have to mail the iPhone back, wait for the return to be processed (and your upgrade eligibility restored if you're doing that). Then go buy or or order another.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
If you get the plus and then decide you don't want it you could probably make money selling it online rather than returning it.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
AT&T rep told me today that Apple does charge a $35 restocking fee for opened iPhones. Of course no charge for unopened boxes. I am getting the 6 Plus and was worried about the size. I doubt considering the demand for the Plus Apple will refuse to swap them out for 6 units if they have the size color combo you want. But I also know I want to open it and use it before I decide.

Apple doesn't charge a restocking fee :)

----------

Apple usually makes you send anything ordered online to some return center in California. They won't accept online stuff at the retail stores. So you'd have to mail the iPhone back, wait for the return to be processed (and your upgrade eligibility restored if you're doing that). Then go buy or or order another.

Note: An iPhone purchased on the Apple Online Store is ineligible for return to an Apple Retail Store.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Damn, you're right. I guess I'll be keeping my 6 Plus then. I was only considering on getting a Gold 6 if I really couldn't deal with the bigger screen, but I think I'll be ok.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Damn, you're right. I guess I'll be keeping my 6 Plus then. I was only considering on getting a Gold 6 if I really couldn't deal with the bigger screen, but I think I'll be ok.

You could always sell it and make profit if you don't want the Plus :)

ayobonus

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I had this issue when I got the 4S.

I had originally bought a white 4S on launch day. I thought I would love the white, but it didn't grow on me like I thought. I ended up wanting the black one. Apple has no issues with returns, no restocking fees or anything, the only problem was the replacement. They weren't able to replace my phone because they had no black 4S' in stock. So I had to come back every day to try and return my phone to see if they had any in stock. Fortunately, around the 12th day of my 14 day return window, I was able to return my white iPhone 4S for a black one.

tl;dr: you can return your phone and exchange it for a different color/model as long as they have it in stock. If not, you're going to have to come back another day.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Im not interested in the 6, just a 64gb 6+. Im wondering if I get there at opening if they would let me return the pre ordered 16g for a 64g and pay the difference without even taking possession of it?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Im not interested in the 6, just a 64gb 6+. Im wondering if I get there at opening if they would let me return the pre ordered 16g for a 64g and pay the difference without even taking possession of it?

I think your bigger challenge will be finding a 64gig Plus on Friday.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I think your bigger issue will be finding a 64gig Plus on Friday.

I wouldnt expect that to be the case since the pre order line(I have it pre ordered to the store) will move along a lot faster then the non pre ordered line. I plan to get there about an hour before they open... I guess Ill just have to wait and see.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I wouldnt expect that to be the case since the pre order line(I have it pre ordered to the store) will move along a lot faster then the non pre ordered line. I plan to get there about an hour before they open... I guess Ill just have to wait and see.

True - if you have an in store preorder at an Apple store, you'll have the inside track to any in store inventory you have. I wouldn't make eye contact with those in line as you walk out with one the 64 GB Plus's they were hoping to snag!:)

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
True - if you have an in store preorder at an Apple store, you'll have the inside track to any in store inventory you have. I wouldn't make eye contact with those in line as you walk out with one the 64 GB Plus's they were hoping to snag!:)

Is this true? So I could theoretically preorder a 6 that is still available for in-store pickup on friday and when I get there ask if I can "upgrade" to the Plus while bypassing the long line. But the leaked "roadmap" today says they will start doing reservations before the lines are separated, maybe to prevent this scenario?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Is this true? So I could theoretically preorder a 6 that is still available for in-store pickup on friday and when I get there ask if I can "upgrade" to the Plus while bypassing the long line. But the leaked "roadmap" today says they will start doing reservations before the lines are separated, maybe to prevent this scenario?

I have no idea - it was pure speculation. I could easily see them saying 'no exchanges' in the pre-order line just to prevent people from doing it.

Or at least limit exchanges to same model/different color so you're not losing any 'net inventory' and to prevent people from trying to preorder instock inventory just to get to the front of the line.

atheros07

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
Cambridge, MA
Same boat here-- ordered a 64GB 6 but want to exchange for a 64GB 6+.

I was on hold with Apple Store customer service for 2 hrs last Friday asking if I could change my online order. The rep told me that instead of canceling and going to the back of the line for the 6+, I should take the unopened 6 to an Apple Store, ask for a Supervisor, and ask for an exchange to the 6+

Don't know how this will work out in real life with such low inventory for the 6+. Also, I'm guessing it won't be easy to get ahold of a supervisor at the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.