How will screen protectors work with the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Dino F, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

By this I mean, how will the rear screen protectors work? I know you can get rear screen protectors for the iPhone 4/4S to obviously protect the rear but on the iPhone 5, you have the aluminium part on the rear?

If rear screen protectors are made available, how will they work as if it is a full protector for the rear, surely they will bubble where the aluminium meets the glass part on the phone ?

Does that make any sense?!!!

2. Kingspade360 macrumors newbie

its going to be flush with the glass they wouldnt make it so its sticking out

3. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I don't think they will make rear protectos, since most of the back is aluminum. For the original and 3G there where no screen protectors for the back (only the rubbery full body ones).

Screen protectors can't stick to textured aluminum. Maybe they can make tiny ones only for the glass parts.

4. newskin macrumors 6502

If the aluminum of the ip5 is the same texture of the MacBooks then I'll be getting the phantom skinz full body matte protector. It has worked great on my MacBook pro for a couple years now.

5. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

From the close up video the iPhone's anodizing looks very similar to the macbook. Those protectors should work nicely. The ones that will have problems are the ultra clear hard ones.

I personally plan on getting a case for it instead.

6. newskin macrumors 6502

I agree. I had the pahntom skinz screen protector on but switched to a hard clear one because of the clarity it provided the screen with. I still kept the matte rear and side guards on.

7. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

If I don't get a case I probably will go with a hard sp for the front and a GA or Phantom for the back. For the front I specially like the oleophobic ones like Green Onions and SGP.

8. bobright macrumors 601

got a Bestskinsever back skin using PS for front but anyway what's the difference from previous iPhones? The back won't stick with a wet install?

9. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Wondering the same thing here. I was able to find a front anti-glare screen protector on eBay and a bumper case but will really need a back protector to go along with my bumper.

10. newskin macrumors 6502

Thing is fellas, the aluminum part of the back of the ip5 seems like its same texture of MacBooks, kinda grainy. So only the soft protectors like ghost armor, invisi shields, etc will probably stick. But the hard plastic ones like power support probably wont. I'm only talking about the back metal part.

11. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

The 4/4s backs are flat glass, the the iphone 5 has a textured aluminum back The rubbery wet protectors probably won't have problems sticking, but the clear hard ones require a flat surface.

12. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I was expecting them just to make cut outs for the glass parts.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Considering that there isn't a rear screen... :D