How will the heat affect my '08 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atil, Nov 7, 2008.

1. atil macrumors newbie

I have the new MBP 2.4 with 4 gigs of RAM. I often play Fallout 3 and Warcraft on it. I usually play with minimal graphics, using the 9400 only in OS X with medium settings, and the 9600 in Vista with minimal settings. I'm afraid that the heat will adversely affect/harm the internals of the notebook. I've read that high temperatures are common with all MBPs, so are my fears founded on any fact? I can live with a hot lap, I just don't want to fry my computer in the process. Can I safely crank up the settings? Thanks in advance.

2. kenned macrumors member

Would apple create a computer that would break from its own heat under normal conditions? I think not.

I wouldn't worry about overheating your computer. If anything turns too hot, the computer will either freeze or shut down before anything is damaged.

3. goobimama macrumors regular

Nothing will happen to your mac. If it does, you will have it covered under warranty. Don't keep it on non conducting surfaces like a plastic surface or cloth, and make sure the air vents are open.

Although, why aren't you playing games with the better GPU?

4. atil thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said, I was afraid that my MBP was defective, and cranking up the graphics/heat would harm it.

Thanks for the help all, I guess mine is normal. :) (Except for the tilting Function keys, and honestly, who cares?)

5. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

But if you are worried about it you could it to an apple store or a place like bestbuy that has a geeksquad center and have them look at the fan insode and if its bad they wil let you know and replace it. If you have Applecare then go tot the apple store if not it doesnt matter

6. atil thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the fans seem to be working fine, and even better than a lot of the posts about fans here. I've read that high temps seem to be the norm. I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't be harming it by cranking up the graphics. I've never owned a computer with a dedicated graphics card before, so I'm kinda a newbie. I have no idea what to do/not to do, and what will/won't melt my CPU/GPU. (melt being an exaggeration. :) )

Also, I've read in a couple of places that the bottom of the notebook is meant to function a a giant heat-sink. Is there any truth to this?

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Completely true. Actually, on the unibody ones, it's more the topcase/keyboard. Go check out the disassembly photos on ifixit if you want to see.

And dedicated graphics chips are always hot plates. They caught up with CPUs for heat output some while ago.