How will the iPhone sell on launch in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddrum1458, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ddrum1458 macrumors member

Will there be a huge demand? Queues?
    What models will sell out quickest, providing all are available?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Although not specifically aimed at the UK, there is already a thread on this. :)

The demand will be likely, HUGE.

There will be queues at large stores.

The 16GB Black will absolutely fly off the shelves.

R-Fly

3. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I think there may be a few people at small stores and in larger ones there will be queues. A few places might sell out, it will also sell a lot better than the first one with the lower prices.

4. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I am curious about this too. Although there may be another thread about the US, I think it could be quite different in the UK. Any suggestions?

5. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Yeah, I predict no queues to speak of, although I'm sure the BBC tv news people will be able to find some queuing people to interview (who will come across as a bit idiotic, if they find similar people to last year). Certainly no problems walking into an O2 or Carphone Warehouse store and getting an iPhone.

Outside the feverish posting on this board, there is literally NO hype in the UK. No adverts, no in store displays. Nothing.

Of course, I could be wrong....:cool:
    As long as I get my 16GB white, I don't care.

6. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I think the best thing we can all do is make sure we don't hype the iPhone to people. Sure, we can hype people on the iPhone starting July 12th, but we want to make sure we can all get the model we want on the 11th. Selfish, I know, but hell it's the iPhone 3G! I'm allowed to be selfish!

EDIT: Also, remember it's the summer holidays. Actually I'm not sure if it's the holidays in England, but schools are off in Scotland so a lot of people will be on holiday, and the kids who want iPhones and are off will have to wait til their parents get home from work before they can get their iPhone due to the 18+ requirement

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

True they haven't even started advertising it yet. There's no hype at all.. people know about it and are interested but certainly those that I know are waiting to see what mine is like beforehand.

8. Juo100 macrumors regular

Me and my friend will be outside my local Carephone Warehouse at 5.00am (Essex), not really expecting anyone else to be there, but we just want to play it safe. He wants 16gb white, I want the black, so thats ok :p

I havnt seen any adverts at all, the only thing I saw was something in the Metro (free newspaper on the Tube) after WWDC's about the new iPhones and thats it really.

There will probably be some queues outside the o2 stores in major cites, other than that I doubt it will be mayhem and I hope im not wrong, I dont want to be confronted by Essex chavs. :D

9. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I expect to be quite lonely in the 'queue' at the main Hull o2 store next Friday morning.

I'd like to know for sure what time they open though :mad:

10. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

well I waited 4 hours last nov and it was f*****g freezing:mad:
    be thankful its july!!!!!!!!!!

11. Badgerguy macrumors member

It's really hard to tell whether there will be queues or not - remember, O2 announced that they received four times as many registrations-of-interest over the first week, compared to the number they received over a two month period for the first iPhone, and I remember what the queues were like at my nearest Apple store back then!

Distribution through O2 and CPW stores might be a little easier - lets face it, there are more O2 stores around than Apple stores - so naturally the demand will be a bit more 'spread out' across those stores.

Nevertheless, I won't be taking the chance of rolling up after work next friday ;)

--
    BG

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Personally I'm convinced that the queues will be enormous, so to ensure that I don't miss out, I am starting a queue in the next couple of hours.

Anyone think that is too early? :D