How will the MBP hold up in an African climate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zauberer, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Zauberer macrumors regular

I will be doing the Peace Corps later this summer for 2 years in West Africa. I currently have an early 2011 15" MBP. Is there any sort of extra care I should be doing? I figure a better sleeve to resist moisture might be a good idea. I'm also considering a keyboard cover to keep dust out. I thought about selling my MBP, but I like it a lot and figure it's at least as durable as any cheap laptop I'd replace it with. No sense in setting it aside because in 2 years when I come back, it'll be much more outdated.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It depends on what you'll be doing.

If your activities will be mainly logistical/office work type stuff, then just try to blow it out with a can of compressed air every once in a while. Unless you think you'll be getting out more than not and might be standing in the rain at times, I wouldn't worry too much about moisture.

With that said, if it it were me, I would sell it and get a tablet and put it in some sort of protective case, like a Lifeproof or Otterbox. That way, on the off chance that I am doing most of my activities outside, I wouldn't have to worry about it so much like I would if it were a laptop.

3. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

Where in West Africa? PM me if you don't want to talk about details publicly. I've done something similar myself and can give tips depending.

4. Zauberer thread starter macrumors regular

Ah it's no state secret ;) I'll be in Benin doing economic development work.

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I would just buy extra chargers. They usually go out at rate of 0.75 per year for me

Aside that there isnt much you need to worry about

6. leman macrumors 604

I have plenty of colleagues doing research in Afrikan and South American jungles, the MBPs seem to work there. Its by no mean an optimal machine for the climate, but as far as I know none of them has broke yet during the last few years (we are talking about 10+ people with macs here).

7. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

It should stand up to the elements just fine, but I would recommend getting one of those cable locks.

[​IMG]

8. wynnandrewj macrumors newbie

Congrats on your decision to serve. I'm a current CED PCV in Senegal and I've been here since June, 2011.

It's probably worth it to bring a keyboard cover and a good sleeve but really that's the best you're going to be able to do. You won't be able to get compressed air cans anywhere near your site and it will be hot and dusty. Forgo the otterbox and cable lock. The lock you'll never use and the otterbox will make it too bulky when travelling.

Ultimately, it's not worth not bringing but I can almost guarantee that something will happen to it and you should be prepared, in the absolute worst case, to lose it. That said, get the Clements Insurance. They are great and the premiums are less than buying a netbook or anything like that and you still get full functionality.

Most important tech piece of advice for a PCV is to bring a large external hard drive - you will need it. Here is PC/Senegal's page about what kind of technology to bring: http://www.pcsenegal.org/pages/184-useful-technology-information

----------

Also, extra charger is a must.

9. renosausage macrumors regular

Hey, I appreciate your desire to serve!

I currently live in the States, but I lived in Africa for several years.

I spent most of my time in Eastern Africa in Zambia and Tanzania.

Dust and dirt are going to be your biggest issues with Technology in Africa.

If you could stand without bringing it then I would leave it at home.

You would be much better off bringing an iPad. The iPad does not have a many opening to its internal parts.

You can also invest in a OtterBox for the iPad that will completely protect it from dust.

A laptop is just too expensive and too fragile to take into Africa. I had one in Africa, but you need to keep it covered as much as possible.

It will also add weight to your baggage.

if you have never been to Africa, then you will spend the first 6 months trying to adjust yourself to this new place.

It's like being on a completely different planet. You will have no time to use you laptop, because you eyes will be going crazy trying to take everything in.

I would suggest taking a trip to see Victoria Falls. It will be the most beautiful scenery you have ever seen.

If I were you, I would sell my laptop get an iPad and Camera, and enjoy those 2 years of service.

Like I said before, dust and dirt is going to be your biggest problem in Africa.