How will the new Apple TV handle live TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jamie0003, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Jamie0003, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I have never really subscribed to a cable service. I am in the UK, and all of my TV watching is on Freeview or on demand via iTunes or Now TV.

On the old Apple TV, I use a logitech harmony remote which works great, and with this new Apple TV, I would love to move to just using the Siri remote as my only remote, but because it doesn't have controls for changing channel or anything, I can't see this happening.

Hopefully Freeview will bring Freeview Play as an app to the Apple TV, but how will the experience be without 0-9 buttons, guide button and no channel up/down? I understand where Apple is going with this, trying to simplify it, and I agree with their claim that the future of TV is integrated apps...But does that future include just on demand, or a bit of both?

I'm still getting one, as I can't wait to finally have everything (iPlayer etc) in one box.

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

The new Apple TV still has an IR sensor. So your Harmony should still work. It has been reported that the Apple tv 2/3 remote, Which uses IR, work on the new Apple TV

3. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's good but what I mean is I would like to use the Siri remote as my only remote as the scrolling etc is a lot better than buttons on a remote, and simplifying is the point of the new Apple TV.

4. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

They mentioned, at the introduction of the new ATV, that you can use the new remote to control your TV and/or Receiver. I think I have read somewhere that, in addition to Bluetooth, the new "Siri Remote" is also going to still have IR functionality. I imagine that is so you can program it, much like a universal remote, to control your TV, receiver, cable box, etc. I REALLY hope that is the case!

That being said... We may not know for sure until we have the "Siri Remote" in our hot little hands.

5. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I hope so too, but they only said this for volume and switching inputs