How will the Snow Leopard Upgrade work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sxp6200, Jul 10, 2009.

1. sxp6200 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new Macbook Pro, and I've started installing all my software and transferring all my files. I was wondering how the Snow Leopard Upgrade will work. There are two possibilities that I see:

1. I'll have to uninstall everything, create a backup, install Snow Leopard and then put everything back in again.

2. I won't need to backup anything, and Snow Leopard will install itself like an update. (Something on the lines of an iTunes update)

Which one is correct? I don't want to move all my work to the new laptop and then remove everything after a couple of months.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well number 2 is going to be an option. It will archive your things and keep your apps, documents etc...However, apps that aren't compatible with Snow Leopard will be placed somewhere else instead of the Apps folder.

And like always, you will be able to completely erase your harddrive and do a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

3. aicul macrumors 6502a

and if you have a PowerPC Mac (Gx CPU) you will get a message that it is useless to install Snow Leopard.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As I posted in another thread... There have been a lot of questions about this, and a lot of people seem to feel like they have the definitive answer. However, as far as I know, Apple has yet to clarify just how this will work logistically. We can speculate about how it should work and what is reasonable, but until we see it implemented or Apple publishes a specific path, I would say we just don't know how it will work.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It works like the search function in this forum.

Very easily.

6. wase4711 macrumors regular

has anyone tried to revert back to "leopard" after having snow leopard on their machine?
    what would be the easiest way to do this? Just format and re-install leopard, or is there some sort of "roll back" procedure?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Considering it's only developer previews so far, standard practice would be to wipe and reinstall. In addition, every OS X update so far has required at least an Archive and Install to revert to even a point upgrade (as in, going from 10.5.7 to 10.5.6).

And I'll second the post from MacDawg. No one knows how it's going to work except Apple, and it's likely many of the employees there don't even know.

jW

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

9. wase4711 macrumors regular

of course, no one knows if SL will handle things the same way that Leopard did though...
    On the test machine I have it on, I am wondering if I revert back to leopard, and then try to import my emails that I was downloading on there, if the 32 bit Leopard Mail, will be able to import the 64 bit SL email..
    nothing critical in there, since it is just a dev machine..