How will the top 21 inch iMac perform?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Airforcekid, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I plan to upgrade the ram to 12GB but leave everything elese the same. I plan to play games like:

World in Conflict
    Hearts of Iron 3
    Supreme ruler 2020
    Battlefield 3
    Call of duty mw3
    Civilization V
    Sims 3
    And other titles like these.
    I will run windows 7 in bootcamp what quality and FPS should I realistically expect? Thanks

2. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

They should all run anywhere between good and acceptable. You'll be able to achieve decent framerates on most of those games with higher settings. I'm not so sure about Battlefield 3 though.

3. Killery96 macrumors 6502

Those should run well, save for BF3. That game will kill systems.

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, should be fine with everything save for BF3. That game looks like it will require a lot of resources.

5. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I have an xbox 360 do you think the graphics would be better on that for mw3 and BF3 or could I set them higher on the iMac.

6. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

BF3 will run just on lower settings, in MP you mainly want FPS over eye candy anyway if you want points ;)

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

12 GB of Ram is excessive. You wouldn't notice any appreciable difference if you went with 8.

8. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

It Has four slots and comes with 2x2gb an I can get 2x4gb for $80. When is FPS excessive more than the eye can tell 30 seems good to me.

9. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

That's a good deal on the ram. I don't see any reason to get 12 GB total then. :p

I have 8 GB on my desktop PC for gaming and I don't really need anymore but ram is cheap these days.

It's hard to say how BF3 will play at this point. From everything I have read though, it is a game that is making many pc gamers beef up their system for. I can't say if you would have better graphics and performance on the iMac vs. 360 though.

10. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

All games are 32 bit which means that they cannot use any more than 4GB of RAM themselves. Having more RAM helps as other system functions can use the other RAM leaving more RAM free for the game but if you are not running anything else (quit all other apps before playing) then you will not see that much of a boost between 8 and 12GB however with 12GB you can have more apps open in the background before you lose in game performance.

Edwin