How will the watch be able to be jail broken?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lsutigerfan1976, Apr 22, 2015.

1. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Ok maybe I missed something. But assuming the software on the watch is able to be jail broken, so we can put whatever we want on it. How is it possible to do this. I was under the assumption that you need first a jailbreakable device. A sync cable for the device, and software loaded on a PC. The watch only comes with a magnetic charger, and the watch. So someone explain to me how they will be able to load the jailbreak software onto the watch? OTA?

2. Goalieed macrumors member

Isn't there some kind of diagnostic port that is covered up? Maybe that can be used with a custom cable?

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

They've done it with the iPhone OTA before.

I guess untill the Apple Watch is in the wild nobody knows exactly, but where there's a will, there's a way.

4. Binarymix macrumors 65816

Hopefully all it takes is a jailbroken phone and hacks to the watch app.

Since the watch is basically just a remote display for the phone atm, this is all that should be needed.

Now when the watch can run apps natively, it may need to be jailbroken itself.

5. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

I bet it relies so heavily on the stock IOS that it's probably not going to happen. Would be cool though!

6. lsutigerfan1976 thread starter macrumors 68020

I was just curious how it works. Cause any other device I have had that I tried to jailbreak required me to plug it to the computer. So it had me wondering.

7. Binarymix macrumors 65816

One of the first jailbreaks could be done by simply clicking a link on a website. The payload was downloaded and self-installed.

8. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I would bet that with a jailbroken phone, there may be a way to crash the watch with special code sent from the jailbroken phone to the watch. I really have no idea, but that would be the first path I would take.

9. Binarymix macrumors 65816

On another note, I wish they'd hurry up and jb 8.3.

I'm gonna miss my tweaks when my watch comes in :(

10. apple.snapple macrumors regular

hopefully the first jailbreak feature will be to allow for notifications to come in to the watch without your phone being around, but still connected to data, like the new Android Wear update.