Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Are there any new apps which come standard on this which can be used for word processing?

Let's say I want to take the iPad to a lecture. I would need to be able to load .docs, .ppts, & .pdfs (syllabi, lectures, outlines) for viewing, and I would need to be able to type out notes via an application like Word. I don't think Notes fulfills this need. What do you think? Also, will there be a folder-like native application? Only about half of the lecture buildings on campus offer wifi. Therefore, I would need to download the files and have them stored on the iPad for quick viewing. I know there are applications like AirSharing that can download and store files on the iPhone, but it would make more sense for the iPad to have this functionality out of the box. Being able to hand-draw notes for classes like ochem or physics would be even more useful, but haven't heard anything on this

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Are there any new apps which come standard on this which can be used for word processing?

Let's say I want to take the iTab to a lecture. I would need to be able to load .docs, .ppts, & .pdfs (syllabi, lectures, outlines) for viewing, and I would need to be able to type out notes via an application like Word. I don't think Notes fulfills this need. What do you think? Also, will there be a folder-like native application? Only about half of the lecture buildings on campus offer wifi. Therefore, I would need to download the files and have them stored on the iTab for quick viewing. I know there are applications like AirSharing that can download and store files on the iPhone, but it would make more sense for the iTab to have this functionality out of the box. Being able to hand-draw notes for classes like ochem or physics would be even more useful, but haven't heard anything on this

didn't see a word processing app.

Habitus :apple:

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
They did show off iWork for the iPad so I assume this includes Pages. Also aren't there several Apps in the App Store that can read these the files right now?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007

Let's say I want to take the iPad to a lecture. I would need to be able to load .docs, .ppts, & .pdfs (syllabi, lectures, outlines) for viewing, and I would need to be able to type out notes via an application like Word. I don't think Notes fulfills this need. What do you think? Also, will there be a folder-like native application? Only about half of the lecture buildings on campus offer wifi. Therefore, I would need to download the files and have them stored on the iPad for quick viewing. I know there are applications like AirSharing that can download and store files on the iPhone, but it would make more sense for the iPad to have this functionality out of the box. Being able to hand-draw notes for classes like ochem or physics would be even more useful, but haven't heard anything on this

So far, I just think iWork is going to be helpful for School on the iPad.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I'm disappointed. I guess I was hoping for something that I could used in med school to "write on" pdf and powerpoint lecture slides with my finger. If they do plan to offer textbooks in the future, I doubt many will buy them. I'm a biology major and for the most part, the textbook is reference. Reading it is generally a waste of time unless there a particular concept I need clarified. Looks like i'm still carrying around four 2-inch binders.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Did you miss the Pages portion of the announcement?

But i'm going to assume we will see some notetaking apps aimed at students i the near future too.

Apparently it mounts as a device and you can drag & drop files to it - which is helpful.

My DD is currently using Notebooks for taking notes in classes (she can type faster on the touch than she writes). We added the weprint/print and share app stuff so they print nicely if needed. The way you can organize files into books and store them together rocks.

I would assume an enhanced for the iPad version of the app to come out!

My big wish is for an app that allows notetaking while watching a video from your library. I'm hoping that is allowed in the SDK.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I actually haven't seen the entire segment on iWork. But if the entire iWork suite has been redesigned to work with the iPad, certainly Apple has Also set up a method for saving newly created Pages documents within the tablet.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I actually haven't seen the entire segment on iWork. But if the entire iWork suite has been redesigned to work with the iPad, certainly Apple has Also set up a method for saving newly created Pages documents within the tablet.

Yes, there is a shared file area. If you go up to the news forum, it is talked about in the SDK thread! (i was just there)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
CTO has said it will be under $1000. The HP Slate is also more powerful than the iPad.

Its also the same tired method of shoehorning a desktop OS onto a different form factor. While this ipad certain has a few things that needs to be worked out, it is at least meant for touch input.

You should have seen the video of a guy at CES trying to resize a window on one of the many slates going around there, it was cring worthy. I think Apple has it right going in with the iphoneOS seeing as its built for that input, but it definitely needs to become a bit more robust.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Jesus Christ. No Apple product is ever warmly received by so-called fans, I'm not sure why I'm surprised by all of this. The iPad was pretty much exactly what I had anticipated it would be. No one should be buying into ANY hype by this point.

I'd buy one right now if I didn't have a MacBook. The iPad is perfect for school. Small enough that I can do readings on the bus and train, which I can't do right now with my MB. The keyboard dock (which sold me on the whole device) makes it perfect for taking notes in class. I do everything in iWork anyway, so I'd be willing to drop $40 to get the suite.

Give it a couple of generations and Flash will be on there, multitasking will be on there and hopefully alternate browsers will be available through the App Store.

I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing. I think it's a great product that needs improvement, but Apple wanted to keep the price down and will add features as time goes on. I'll have one within 2-3 years.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'd buy one right now if I didn't have a MacBook. The iPad is perfect for school. Small enough that I can do readings on the bus and train, which I can't do right now with my MB. The keyboard dock (which sold me on the whole device) makes it perfect for taking notes in class. I do everything in iWork anyway, so I'd be willing to drop $40 to get the suite.
Just and FYI - it's on the accessory page that it actually supports the BT Keyboard too, which i think makes it easier for using in a class than the dock. I'm going to assume that someone will make a stand for it.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Just and FYI - it's on the accessory page that it actually supports the BT Keyboard too, which i think makes it easier for using in a class than the dock. I'm going to assume that someone will make a stand for it.

You could couple a BT keyboard with Apple's case, I'm just not sure how the viewing angle would work. That low, I'd be better off just typing right on the screen. That's why I think the keyboard dock would work better for me. Especially if that dock will allow me to connect to a projector (with appropriate converter cables). I usually have one or two presentations a semester that I present with Keynote.

jhall527

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I agree, as I student I'm really considering getting one. I do have a MBP right now but I can leave it hooked up to my desk on it's Griffin Elevator and external HD and just use it as a desktop. E-mail, iWork, and Safari are really the only thing I use my computer for on a daily basis anyway. The only type of 'gaming' I ever do is on my iPhone so the iPad takes care of that as well. Also being on a college means I have free wifi everywhere so there's no need for the 3G.

I think this is perfect for a college student.

InvalidBassist

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Chicago
The iPad will treat .docs, .ppt, etc the same as the iPhone and the iPod Touch does: if it comes into Mail, you can view it.

As has been mentioned in this forum previously, the only way to edit them would be with the iWork apps.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I think the form factor is really what sets this device apart from a laptop. As a student, it is a pain to have a full laptop take up your desk leaving absolutely no room for any books or papers. The size of this device makes it easy to have other materials on your desk along with your computer.

Same goes for when you are in bed or on the couch. This tablet will be much more comfortable to use on couch or laying in bed than any laptop would.

Mew2468

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Home of the 2010 Winter Games
iPad includes the iWork suite, which includes a word-processing app, does it not?

Actually, the iPad doesn't come with the iWork Suite - you can buy the entire thing for $30 or $10 separately per program.

On topic, I'm a student and I'd love having this. Being able to use iWork, surf the Internet, (eventually) view textbooks, and still have room to fit the rest of my stuff on my desk will be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.