Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I, uh, "upgraded" my iPhone 2g to an AT&T Fuze last week.

I thought the Copy/paste, MMS and text message forwarding would be nice to have again. And while they're awesome (Yes... awesome and badly missed features...), the poor call handling (Takes 2-4 rings on the caller's side before I see who's calling me), the spastic battery (I've ranged anywhere from 8-24 hours on a fully charged battery...), the bizzare data handling (It chooses when to send my text messages???), the Horrendous media player (need I say more?), and the sup-par build quality (nice materials, but a very creaky, squeaky phone in the hand), aren't enough to justify keeping this thing...

So, I'd like to really upgrade and get the iPhone 3g. However, I'm anal and would like to make my phone purchase at an Apple store (I may need to see a shrink, but for some reason I feel good inside spending $$$ at an apple store, while I feel guilty when I buy from AT&T???). So, would I return my Fuze, tell AT&T the situation, and buy my phone from Apple?

Also, does anybody know the new routine for activation??? The 2g was done at home (Great for self-unboxing), then I guess it was done at AT&T, then they brought back home activation for the holidays? I'm out of the loop... what do we do now???

Thanks!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The easiest way to upgrade to the iPhone 3G is to go back to AT&T and ask for an "equipment exchange". It is a very easy process and it will also save you the potential $20 restocking fee on the HTC Fuze.

Here is the official information:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Returns/exchanges must be like new, with all original packaging, accessories, manuals and proof of purchase. You may exchange equipment one time within the 30 day period. iPhone returns/exchanges will be subject to a 10% restocking fee, except where prohibited. A $20 restocking fee applies to devices purchased at an AT&T-owned retail store except where prohibited.

If you really have to purchase from Apple then you need to make sure that when you return the Fuze that you get your account's "Equipment Upgrade status" reset or you may have to pay the higer "early upgrade" pricing at the Apple Store.

How long have you had your 2G as this will impact the pricing offered for your iPhone 3G upgrade?

Dave

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Hmmm... Always fine print that I somehow overlook.

I got the 2g a little over a year ago. I would think I'd be eligible for an upgrade.

So the 30 day return policy only applies once, eh? So if apple were to come out with an updated iphone at macworld, I'm S.O.L.???

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Hmmm... Always fine print that I somehow overlook.

I got the 2g a little over a year ago. I would think I'd be eligible for an upgrade.

So the 30 day return policy only applies once, eh? So if apple were to come out with an updated iphone at macworld, I'm S.O.L.???

If you were an active iPhone user befor July then you qualfied for the $199 / $299 pricing on the iPhone 3G at the July 11 launch date it sounds like you would qualify for the iPhone 3G upgrade today. Once you resolve your HTC Fuze (weak moment).

Yes the 30 day return policy allows a single equimpment exchage / upgrade. Since you are well past the 3 day "no quesions asked window", then you might as well wait for the Announcents later this week Thurday, Jan 9th will set the pace if there is going to be an announcement of interest.

Dave

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I, uh, "upgraded" my iPhone 2g to an AT&T Fuze last week.

I evaluate PDAs/smartphones and your Fuzz (as the Palm rep calls them) experience is inline with what I saw. People whisper "iPhone killer" in regard to new equipment (Fuze, Incite, etc.) and it is laughable. Even without the comparison to an iPhone I would not carry most of them. Too bad AT&T has such a strong relationship with HTC. Not bashing here, but I'm not sure there will be a skin that makes Windows Mobile resemble an iPhone's functionality.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I evaluate PDAs/smartphones and your Fuzz (as the Palm rep calls them) experience is inline with what I saw. People whisper "iPhone killer" in regard to new equipment (Fuze, Incite, etc.) and it is laughable. Even without the comparison to an iPhone I would not carry most of them. Too bad AT&T has such a strong relationship with HTC. Not bashing here, but I'm not sure there will be a skin that makes Windows Mobile resemble an iPhone's functionality.

Yeah... It had ups and downs. I mean, it didn't do anything great... it just did a lot of stuff. Like I said, it fails as a phone (why should they person calling me have to wait 2-4 rings before I even know they're calling???). Also, I got the feeling a small drop would make it shatter. It was very "creaky". You'd hear the plastic battery cover creaking... You'd push the volume up/down buttons and the whole display would want to move.

If they had better build quality (maybe I just had a defective unit...) and if Windows Mobile were user friendly (maybe 7 will be???) I think they'd have an awesome platform. But right now it isn't. I read several times that the Fuze (or Touch Pro) was the best Windows Mobile Professional phone on the US market (only seconded by the Sony X1). The concept is great, and the features on paper are great... but there is more work needed...

That being said, I just went ahead and traded it for the iPhone. I thought I was going to miss the physical keyboard, the LED status lights, and the extra physical buttons on the front. But, here I am 2 hours after trading her in, and I'm happy as can be. Even without all those bells and whistles!

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah... It had ups and downs. I mean, it didn't do anything great... it just did a lot of stuff. Like I said, it fails as a phone (why should they person calling me have to wait 2-4 rings before I even know they're calling???). Also, I got the feeling a small drop would make it shatter. It was very "creaky". You'd hear the plastic battery cover creaking... You'd push the volume up/down buttons and the whole display would want to move.

If they had better build quality (maybe I just had a defective unit...) and if Windows Mobile were user friendly (maybe 7 will be???) I think they'd have an awesome platform. But right now it isn't. I read several times that the Fuze (or Touch Pro) was the best Windows Mobile Professional phone on the US market (only seconded by the Sony X1). The concept is great, and the features on paper are great... but there is more work needed...

That being said, I just went ahead and traded it for the iPhone. I thought I was going to miss the physical keyboard, the LED status lights, and the extra physical buttons on the front. But, here I am 2 hours after trading her in, and I'm happy as can be. Even without all those bells and whistles!

Pshaw I went the Fuze (ok touch pro route) and my opinions are vastly different. The only thing in common was a creaky battery case (due in fact to a replaceable battery). It is easily fixed with a piece of cardboard folded in half put into the case. You push the volume key and the display wants to move because its a slider.

Pros of the fuze/TP
-- A2DP
-- Cut & Paste
-- Hardware keyboard big issue for me
-- multitasking
-- MMS
-- Superior camera
-- Better opening screen
-- Better resolution
-- more hackable (aka XDA-devleopers)
-- Doesn't have AAPL dictating what one can do with it
-- Not locked to AT&T
-- user-replaceable battery
-- Ability to tether or be used as a wifi hotspot

Pros of the Iphone
-- Iphone multitouch screen is sweet sweet sweet
-- Speed The apple GUI is fast!
-- Iphone browser is the best mobile browser I have used. The Opera browser on the TP is a pretty close second.
-- Iphone is Sleek
-- Standardized as opposed to being bastardized like WM. (this is a biggy)

Other
--App Store - has potential, but needs cleaned up in a big way

Personally the way I went was the TP with an ipod Touch. For me it makes more sense since I can use my TP to feed internet to my ipod touch rather easily.

In anycase I hope that you enjoy your iphone better than you did the fuze

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007

Why is it a bad thing that AT&T has a good relationship with a huge cell phone producer? It enables more options for more people.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
it fails as a phone

Unless something new comes out, the only devices we will deploy as phones are smartphones (Windows Mobile Standard). The PDAs (Windows Mobile Professional) just aren't reliable for us for business use.

However, a lot of issues are caused by AT&T's network upgrades. For some reason, it cracks me up when AT&T tells me they "rebooted a tower". We have a micro in the basement and I sit about 30 from the antenna on our floor. The third hand is nice when trying to hard reset an 8100. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.