How will we know that the MBP yellow tint issue is solved?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macula, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

I set off to to buy a great Macbook Pro 2.2 nearly a month ago, and ended up returning both the original machine and the replacement that Apple sent me because of display issues. I received a full refund--kudos to Apple for excellent customer service.

My craving for a MBP has not be satiated--I WANT one! Yet nearly a month has passed and I am reluctant to place a new order because I worry that I may get a yellow-tinted-bottom-third LED screen again.

The question: How will we know if the issue has been silently solved by Apple? Do we just wait until the relevant threads in this forum are inactive for a couple of weeks or more?

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Honestly, no one knows. Reality is that the MBP's displays (both Samsung and LG) are subpar in quality in order to save some bucks.

In order for this yellowing issue to be fixed, they need completely new panels which I don't see happening until next revision (with higher res).

The LG panels also have a tinting issue (bluish hue in the bottom and red in top) which can be largely corrected by calibrating the monitor correctly. I don't know but I doubt it's that much different in the Samsung displays.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

order a refurb. Chances are if it had had a yellow tint it woulda been returned for that and they would have fixed it and done extra testing with it already for that issue. Maybe i'm wrong, but my refurb 2.2 mbp I got last week is PERFECT :) (and i'm pretty darn picky)

4. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

i agree, i think refurb is the way to go.

5. jameskohn macrumors 6502

Has Apple acknowledged this issue?

Has Apple officially acknowledged this issue? Identified a fix?

One post pointed out that when he ran Vista the problem completely disappeared and the screen looked spectacular... software/firmware issue?

I am eager for a new MBP, and in fact have one configured in my shopping cart in the Apple Store online as we speak. But I am reluctant to pull the trigger if it's only going to put me in yellow screen hell!