How will we know what's going on, on Apple's event Tuesday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spooner83, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Spooner83 macrumors regular

Spooner83

Since, we usually get live updates from the invited parties at the event, how will we get them if it's at Apple's campus? They'll be blocking videos and updating on sites so how will we be able to see what's going on? Wait for the keynote?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

How will they block updating on sites?

EDIT: Even if you can't get WiFi, you could text someone else to post it. The whole point of a press event is to get press coverage, why would they try stop the media reporting on it?

3. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I agree, how would they block out what's going on? ^
    I'm pretty sure Apple has WiFi, come on guys, they want people to see the new product.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did lock people out of wifi, remember the embarrassing moments for the iPhone 4 when Steve couldn't get a page to load because the wifi was overloaded. Most likely though they'll just have a dedicated wifi connection for the demo and others for the press.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

That was because there were 5000 people in the auditorium at the Moscone Center, a large percentage of whom were using WiFi and/or Mifi devices. Apple's town hall area is much smaller, so there will be far less of an issue with networking.

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

That was always a head-scratcher for me. I would have figured that with Steve's attention to detail that they would have seen that coming and accommodated with a dedicated networking setup just for the demo hardware. I'm sure that won't happen again.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Live blogs from Engadget and Macworld. Same as always.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I just downloaded the new Apple Clairvoyance App.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

The problem was there were hundreds of Mifi devices creating wireless networks and interfering with the official networks, in addition to the fact that 5000 people had one or more wireless clients all trying to connect to something.

The Moscone Center has a crazy amount of bandwidth (I have downloaded things at 50MB/s from a wired connection) and the wireless network is about as good as it can get, but at the end of the day, physics determines whether there are just too many signals flying around for things to work right.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I knew you were going to say that.

11. EddyP macrumors 6502

Sometimes there are also people streaming live feeds. The quality typically sucks, but if you HAVE to see it ASAP it's an option. Google should get you something on Tuesday. Or I'm sure someone around here will post a link.

12. lnferno macrumors 6502

On a side note, for the room that Apple hosting the keynote in their campus, how many people does it hold?

13. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

we will get up to the minute info like always

14. Deadpulse macrumors member

15. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Why would they block it? Have they blocked for past events on campus?

----------

usually not

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm hoping Apple does a live stream for Apple devices because I only have one class on Tuesday which will end before the keynote starts, so I'd rather watch it. But if I was in class 9or if Apple doesn't stream it) then I'd go with Engadget's liveblogging. They do a good job getting the info up and providing accompanying pictures.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Yeah, Engadget is pretty good. I'd say between MacRumors and there you're pretty well covered. I'd recommend Engadget primarily though (no offence to Arn and Co. but I've found they do better up-to-the minute coverage) then come back here for in-depth analysis and discussion. Best of both worlds :)