How will you know if the iPhone is on 3.6 or 7.2 HSPA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickdunn, Jun 19, 2009.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I understand that 7.2 is not even out yet, with the exception of test cities, but will you be able to see when it is on 7.2? Will the 3G logo change or have a + symbol?

2. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

It will load faster. That's how you will know.

3. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I see there is no shortage of brilliant answers here

4. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

5. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

The non-smart ass answer is that HSPDA+ is only being tested in 3 US cities right now (St. Louis and two others) and has yet to be officially released. Because of this, they are still only using the 3G icon for both standard 3G networks and the 3G+ networks. I would assume/hope that when AT&T goes public with their rollouts of the new infrastructure--we will get a simple update (much like the one that will enable MMS) that shows us 'E', '3G', '3GS'.

6. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

I don't know about that. Up hear in Canada, we have 7.2 everywhere, and I still have the 3G icon. And I'm sure (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm currently on 7.2, because (on the app speedtest) my average is about 3.5Mbits/s (my 3G went ~2.5).

Pro-79

7. sam011989 macrumors regular

um...i'm running a speed test right now on the 3G network, and I got an average of 896KB/s........is this normal?

8. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Yea, that could definitely be the case in Canada...I'm just talking about the US. So who knows, maybe it'll be 3G for both 3G and 3G+ networks forever--just doesn't make as much sense seeing that both AT&T and Apple would like to remind everyone they're getting something new when we, in fact, are getting something new in the network.

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

My guess is there won't be an icon change. The only way you will know is when the update the carrier file and the notes say that's what it is for.