How will you rate the rMBP 13.3''

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Exana, Oct 23, 2012.

?

How do you rate the new MacBook Pro 13.3 Retina

1. 5 stars

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. 4 stars

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. 3 stars

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. 2 stars

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  5. 1 star

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. 0 star

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Exana, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

Exana macrumors regular

Tell us about your first impressions/expectations of this new MacBook Pro.

5 Great
    1 Poor
    0 Crap

:D

Negative : Dual Core only, no dGPU, overpriced for 8GB and 128 GB, no 16GB option
    Positive : Retina, dual fan cooling (so quiet ?), weight, 2 Thunderbolt like 15.4''

This Retina MacBook Pro is a kind of fat MacBook Air...

2. cstm macrumors regular

I think it's exactly what everyone should've expected. No dedicated, no quad, expensive, makes everything else look and feel very old in comparison.

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I think you have to wait till people get the notebooks in hand before you can properly rate it, or are you asking for ratings of peoples impressions of the computer?

4. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Its far too expensive. The specs don't cut it. It is by no means a professional machine.

5. Exana thread starter macrumors regular

Yes for the bold part (sorry I don't speak/write english well :eek:). I have edited my first post. Thanks. :)

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

In my opinion, MBPs have always been overpriced, so no surprise there.

I gave it 3 stars (well, 2.5, but rounded up). 1 star off for no quad-core CPU. 1 star off for no discrete GPU.

I mean, yeah, if I actually expected it to be any cheaper (I didn't), I'd go with 2 stars, but I wasn't surprised.

EDIT - Actually, I take that back. I'll go with 2 stars. It should have come with 256GB standard.

7. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

Seriously with a HD 4000 and the upgrade to dual core i7 the price is 2199
    Exactly the same as 15 retina with faster processor and faaaar better graphics, good job apple, now you make the world a better place by making people laugh :D

Gave it 4 stars for build quality and ofcourse the retina -1 for price and weak integrated graphics. Could at least sport the gt640m... or even 635m for that matter.

8. Exana thread starter macrumors regular

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I am sure that the fit and finish will be a 5 star. :cool:

But to me it is a MBA with a retina display that costs nearly what a 15" rMBP costs. So for value for your money, I would put it as a 2 star. :eek:

I am so glad we did not wait on the 13" rMBP. :D

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

My rating depends on how much I can get for a kidney to buy one. :eek:

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do people usually rate computers based on the tech specs?
    I have a hard time doing that myself.

12. playsontheleft macrumors regular

It's a very good general-purpose machine - it's quick, it looks nice, and it'll run almost all general applications with no problems at all.

...however, the Air does that too, and at a much lower price with honestly a better form factor for the job. The horrific price and low starting storage are what's killing the machine for me - while it's quick and all that, you simply don't get enough for your money. It has the specs I expected but not the price tag - so, probably 3-star, for a good machine with a horrific price. Maybe 2-star though given that, minus the Retina display, the Air probably beats it in terms of price and form for a good number of jobs. I'm not lowering stars because I wanted it to have a quad-core CPU or a discrete GPU, since I was sure from the start that neither of them would come, but because I feel it's more a Retina hype machine than a really good computer for the money it costs.

13. ordo1980 macrumors member

Very underwhelmed. Voted 2. I have nearly 2k on an Apple gift card waiting to be used. I think I will be hanging onto it a little while longer... and maybe just upgrading my mid-2009 mbp to 8gb RAM and a Samsung SSD. I really don't do anything intensive... no photo/video editing. Safari, mail, Office... pretty much all I do, so a C2D still works I guess. I was really hoping the 13" retinas would be reasonably priced and well specd. Not so much. If I had to buy a new mbp, it looks to me like the best deal is the base cMBP 15" AG one... that is tempting... really sad... I remember when I got my mbp in 2009 I got the base 13 and thought it was a real bargain spec for spec. Not so much right now.

14. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I gave it a 2/5 as well. :cool:

And agree that the cMBP 15" AG is the most tempting (refurb!) model atm. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I were in strong need. Now I'll wait and look at the RevB 15" rMBP and will then decide.

15. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Very disappointing. Voted 0 stars at Apple's greed and lack of respect for customers and specially the loyal ones that year after year supported the brand, expecting them to pay such a ludicrous price for such obviously underpowered machine.

16. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I'll rate it after testing it. If I don't, then I won't.

17. Liquinn Suspended

What can the rMBP 13" do that my classic MBP can't do?

18. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Looks like a decent new MBP.. time will tell. :)

20. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

As I said in another thread, No 16GB RAM, no dedicated GPU, and no quad core i7, no thank you. Sticking with the 2012 i7 11" Air

21. Quash macrumors regular

I don't think the problem is the machine but the price.

If it were like 1499 for the base model people would be all over it.
    Or even if it was just one model for 1799 with the dual i7 and 256gb ssd it would have been fine.

Now it's just bad value.

Dedicated graphics was never a possibility, if there would have been room for an higher TDP i would have rather had the 2.3/2.6 ghz quad core then a dual core with like a 630m

22. Exana thread starter macrumors regular

Tell us about your first impressions/expectations of this new MacBook Pro. Not possible !? :eek: OMG... Of course a part of a rating comes from a price/specs ratio.

ordo1980 have post his point of view. :)

23. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Not a bad machine, just don't see Apple's obsession with how thin they can make a machine.

I'm not particularly distraught over not having a quad core, but man a discrete GPU would have been nice for the asking price. I'm pretty sure they could have fit one in there had they kept the same thickness.

In any event, I might be wrong. Just my musings ... I won't be getting one. Still have a Mid 2011 MBP, I don't think I'll be needing another for quite some time.