Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 0 star

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters

Exana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Tell us about your first impressions/expectations of this new MacBook Pro.

5 Great
1 Poor
0 Crap

:D

Negative : Dual Core only, no dGPU, overpriced for 8GB and 128 GB, no 16GB option
Positive : Retina, dual fan cooling (so quiet ?), weight, 2 Thunderbolt like 15.4''

This Retina MacBook Pro is a kind of fat MacBook Air...

Last edited:

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I think it's exactly what everyone should've expected. No dedicated, no quad, expensive, makes everything else look and feel very old in comparison.

Comment

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I think you have to wait till people get the notebooks in hand before you can properly rate it, or are you asking for ratings of peoples impressions of the computer?

Comment

Exana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I think you have to wait till people get the notebooks in hand before you can properly rate it, or are you asking for ratings of peoples impressions of the computer?
Yes for the bold part (sorry I don't speak/write english well :eek:). I have edited my first post. Thanks. :)

Comment

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
In my opinion, MBPs have always been overpriced, so no surprise there.

I gave it 3 stars (well, 2.5, but rounded up). 1 star off for no quad-core CPU. 1 star off for no discrete GPU.

I mean, yeah, if I actually expected it to be any cheaper (I didn't), I'd go with 2 stars, but I wasn't surprised.

EDIT - Actually, I take that back. I'll go with 2 stars. It should have come with 256GB standard.

Comment

icecoldart

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Europe-Poland
Seriously with a HD 4000 and the upgrade to dual core i7 the price is 2199
Exactly the same as 15 retina with faster processor and faaaar better graphics, good job apple, now you make the world a better place by making people laugh :D

Gave it 4 stars for build quality and ofcourse the retina -1 for price and weak integrated graphics. Could at least sport the gt640m... or even 635m for that matter.

Comment

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I am sure that the fit and finish will be a 5 star. :cool:

But to me it is a MBA with a retina display that costs nearly what a 15" rMBP costs. So for value for your money, I would put it as a 2 star. :eek:

I am so glad we did not wait on the 13" rMBP. :D

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Do people usually rate computers based on the tech specs?
I have a hard time doing that myself.

Comment

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
It's a very good general-purpose machine - it's quick, it looks nice, and it'll run almost all general applications with no problems at all.

...however, the Air does that too, and at a much lower price with honestly a better form factor for the job. The horrific price and low starting storage are what's killing the machine for me - while it's quick and all that, you simply don't get enough for your money. It has the specs I expected but not the price tag - so, probably 3-star, for a good machine with a horrific price. Maybe 2-star though given that, minus the Retina display, the Air probably beats it in terms of price and form for a good number of jobs. I'm not lowering stars because I wanted it to have a quad-core CPU or a discrete GPU, since I was sure from the start that neither of them would come, but because I feel it's more a Retina hype machine than a really good computer for the money it costs.

Comment

ordo1980

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Very underwhelmed. Voted 2. I have nearly 2k on an Apple gift card waiting to be used. I think I will be hanging onto it a little while longer... and maybe just upgrading my mid-2009 mbp to 8gb RAM and a Samsung SSD. I really don't do anything intensive... no photo/video editing. Safari, mail, Office... pretty much all I do, so a C2D still works I guess. I was really hoping the 13" retinas would be reasonably priced and well specd. Not so much. If I had to buy a new mbp, it looks to me like the best deal is the base cMBP 15" AG one... that is tempting... really sad... I remember when I got my mbp in 2009 I got the base 13 and thought it was a real bargain spec for spec. Not so much right now.

Comment

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Very underwhelmed. Voted 2. I have nearly 2k on an Apple gift card waiting to be used. I think I will be hanging onto it a little while longer... and maybe just upgrading my mid-2009 mbp to 8gb RAM and a Samsung SSD. I really don't do anything intensive... no photo/video editing. Safari, mail, Office... pretty much all I do, so a C2D still works I guess. I was really hoping the 13" retinas would be reasonably priced and well specd. Not so much. If I had to buy a new mbp, it looks to me like the best deal is the base cMBP 15" AG one... that is tempting... really sad... I remember when I got my mbp in 2009 I got the base 13 and thought it was a real bargain spec for spec. Not so much right now.
I gave it a 2/5 as well. :cool:

And agree that the cMBP 15" AG is the most tempting (refurb!) model atm. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I were in strong need. Now I'll wait and look at the RevB 15" rMBP and will then decide.

Comment

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
Very disappointing. Voted 0 stars at Apple's greed and lack of respect for customers and specially the loyal ones that year after year supported the brand, expecting them to pay such a ludicrous price for such obviously underpowered machine.

Comment

Quash

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I don't think the problem is the machine but the price.

If it were like 1499 for the base model people would be all over it.
Or even if it was just one model for 1799 with the dual i7 and 256gb ssd it would have been fine.

Now it's just bad value.

Dedicated graphics was never a possibility, if there would have been room for an higher TDP i would have rather had the 2.3/2.6 ghz quad core then a dual core with like a 630m

Comment

Exana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Do people usually rate computers based on the tech specs?
I have a hard time doing that myself.
Tell us about your first impressions/expectations of this new MacBook Pro. Not possible !? :eek: OMG... Of course a part of a rating comes from a price/specs ratio.

ordo1980 have post his point of view. :)

Comment

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Not a bad machine, just don't see Apple's obsession with how thin they can make a machine.

I'm not particularly distraught over not having a quad core, but man a discrete GPU would have been nice for the asking price. I'm pretty sure they could have fit one in there had they kept the same thickness.

In any event, I might be wrong. Just my musings ... I won't be getting one. Still have a Mid 2011 MBP, I don't think I'll be needing another for quite some time.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.