All iPads How worth it is the laminated display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alundra, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Alundra macrumors regular

Compared to the ipad air 1 display?

Is there a video where we can see a comparison yet? Or just a video that compares an ipad air 1 like display with a laminated display?

I still don't quite understand the difference

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe its the early hour for me, but I'm not quite understanding your question. What are you asking specifically?

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I think he wants to get a sense of how much of an impact the new display has on the visual experience, compared to the original iPad Air's display. He's specifically asking about the lamination (anti-reflective coating). The new display has also eliminated the air gap, which effects the thinness and visual quality.

My answer is that nobody can say for certain. Once an Apple store has display models, I'd go to one and take a look for yourself. Since the iPad Air will still be on sale, you should be able to see them in store as well, and compare the two directly.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think you want to know if there is a comparable difference in display quality between the new iPad Air 2 and the previous iPad's without the new laminated display. If that is correct, I haven't seen anything online just yet about it (there could be, but I haven't come across it).

I'd say your best bet is to go to an Apple Store and compare them in person, side by side.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see thanks, I went and got me another coffee to help perk up my eyes and brain :D

I can't answer the OP, other then suggesting that he go and view the iPads at an apple store, while he can't compare them side by side, he at least can see how well they look under harsh lighting conditions (store lighting is what I consider harsh).

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Laminated displays look great, but honestly, so does the original ipad Air's. It's not like I look at my Air compared to my iPhone with the laminated display and think the Air looks bad, in fact I can't say I notice it. Yes, I'd prefer the new display but you'll probably not be able to tell the difference except when you place them side by side, or purposefully go looking for it.

7. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

I'll be happy if due to the new screen the hollow tap sound is gone.

Really bothered me in quiet surroundings when I first got my Air. (Coming from a 3rd gen.)

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, I know what you mean about that hollow sound. Kind of weird, but it doesn't bother me.

9. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

how about antireflective coating? how have they done it?

10. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Exactly what I was wondering about, and didn't hear anything from all the bloggers that went to the event and played around with the demo models. Wanted to know how it felt when tapped on compared to the Air. I have a 3 myself and was a little turned off by the feel of the display on the Air, I'm wondering with this laminated display if that changed that.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I don't know of course since I haven't seen it but I have a feeling that it will be a trivial upgrade if any for most people. Apple really harped on this because well, let's face it, there wasn't a lot to really harp about for this update.

The camera got a lot of attention which is completely meh.

The Air has a beautiful display as is and I don't use it much in direct sunlight or in other areas with a lot of glare so this won't matter. The dpi is the same and that's what counts, IMO.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am afraid that the thinner Apple makes them the more hollow the screen will sound as the glass has got to be getting thinner too. What ever you do do not sit on the Air 2!

I can't wait for mine to get here on Wednesday.

13. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

the 1st Air has a screen that is very beautiful but it gains hairpins just by seeing it...:eek:

Have 2 iPad Airs and both have hairpins...with same usage and baby/class care also the ipad 4 I had was perfect

So the problem for me is the quality of the glass since it is not gorilla...

Making the ipad even more thin only makes me have more headaches since I hate using sceenprotectors.

14. WilliamG macrumors G3

I'm the opposite, here. I don't like the Air display compared to my 6 Plus. The difference, to me, is blindingly obvious.

15. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Go look at a Surface Pro 3 for example. It looks great but don't expect the second coming.

16. Motawa macrumors 6502

hairpins?? you mean scratches?

17. pmau macrumors 65816

??? How's that related to lamination of the LCD to the cover glass ???

Anyways, progress is made all the time, unless Apple goes wild and tries to increase the margin even more.

The only thing I might worry about the the coating, that might be affected by cleaning fluids, etc.

18. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Put an iPhone 5 next to an iPhone 4s and it'll give you an idea of the difference. That is when the iPhone made the switch. When the reflections are cut down the picture looks more clear and vibrant.

----------

I agree with you completely. My iPhone 6 looks so much better than my iPad 4 and the difference is the reflectivity levels.

19. awests macrumors regular

20. Motawa macrumors 6502

21. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I am really looking forward to losing the gap between the glass and the display.

That alone will help on glare, plus the solid feel will be more like the original ipad which had the gap but the thicker glass made it feel more solid.

I wouldn't upgrade on that alone, but you are getting Touch ID, better eyesight and FaceTime cams, a better processor, thinner, lighter....

22. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I would assume that by combining all the parts of the display into one you could get a clearer, more vibrant image. However, whether this will make a noticeable impact cannot be answered yet or really conveyed in a video. You'll have to see for yourself.

23. WilliamG macrumors G3

....and maybe 2GB RAM... :D

----------

Dear. Goodness.

I tried to bend my thumb like that but it's... it's... inhuman!

24. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

yes!!!!!:)

25. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

The few hands-on videos from the event have came back very positive on the quality of the new laminated panel. The common comment was "pictures almost look painted on" and that it feels like you're interacting more directly with the content.

Using my 6 Plus and my Air 1, I can definitely tell the difference between how the screens "feel". It's like I'm hovering just above the content on my Air, but directly touching it on my 6 Plus.

I have a feeling the new laminated display is going to be a dark horse major improvement. Obviously we'll find out this week.

Oh, and that hollow tap sound should be long gone, since you're touching a single, more substantial part, instead a thin later of glass, air, LCD, air, backlight, etc.