How would an iPhone recall work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 15, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Would they say like "We can only make so many new ones at a time so please give us time to get new ones then you can come in and trade it in at an Apple store?" How would they have enough supply to sell new ones AND replace old ones?

Would you lose any data?

2. D3lta macrumors 6502a

How about we wait till tomorrow and find out if there's even a recall, which I doubt will happen:rolleyes:

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

IF a recall was going to happen then I would suggest taking a backup of your iPhone, so you won't loose any data.

With regards to physically swapping iPhones then I can't see that happening.

For that reason Im out.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

5. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

6. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

What if they were to announce the availability of the White iPhone as well? That would be sweeeeet.

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

It won't happen.

But if it had to happen, I would hope apple did it easily by doing like a time period where you go on apple.com and put in your serial number and such information and keep your phone. Then you submit the information and select either in store pick up or delivery. For in store pick up you would need to exchange the phone for which information you put into the computer. Even exchange. For the delivery, you should have the phone delivered and use the same packaging box with a tracking slip supplied by apple and send the defective iPhone back to apple. If they didn't receive the phone back after a certain amount of time, you would just be charged for two phones.

It's really simple and easy, so apple probably would not go this route.

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

People really need to stop thinking about a recall.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

This would cost an overwhelming amount of money and cost Apple very dearly both in marketing and real dollars. Product recalls are not a good thing. Not to mention this isn't something that a simple swap is likely to fix. If anything, they'll offer free or cheaper bumpers to people.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

11. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Since they released the 4.1 Beta, it's safe to assume that there will not be a recall. At least not tomorrow.

12. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It is very unlikely that they will recall, as it will not only cost a lot, but it also means that they admit that there is a problem. More likely we will have something where unhappy iPhone owners can exchange/return it for an extended period of time.

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Does anyone read the news on page 1 of this Web site? Look OP, THERE ISN'T GOING TO BE A RECALL, PERIOD.

What is so hard to understand about that concept?

14. mantan macrumors 68000

I agree. The backlash of a recall would be enormous. Look at Toyota. Their reputation and bottom line took a HUGE hit. Like Apple their identity had been around high quality products. Plus Apple has sailed down the 'nothing to see here path.'

I predict a watered down acknowledgment of some issues that they expect to correct with a software update (hopefully that includes proximity update) and extending the date people can return it for a refund from 30 to 90 days.

While a lot of people are having problems, I think only a few of those would actually give up on the device and return it for a refund and go back to a 3GS or something else is actually a lot smaller.

But that's still a huge risk to Apple. Their reputation could potentially take a big hit if they can't resolve it and this lingers into the fall.

Not to mention if there is truly a Verizon launch in early 2010, lingering hardware issues could have an impact (no matter how much Apple is trying to deflect this as a network issue.)