How would be easier to backup your dvd movie collection...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OverSpun, Sep 7, 2010.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I've done a few of my collection with YadeX, and Toast Titanium by just getting the Video_TS and Audio_TS stuff and burning it on a dvd..

It is kind of annoying without the main screen... is there a better way to backup movies?

I've already had people ignored putting my DVDs without putting them into the cases, so I'm tired of getting scratched DVDs now. I'm aware that making backups of your own dvds which is totally legal, right?

Thanks!

2. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Awesome! I think I had handbrake before.. I'll download it and give it a shot.

Thank you.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I think you also need to have VLC installed as well. Handbrake works beautifully for me :)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my opinion, you need both Mac DVD Ripper Pro (or RipIt) AND Handbrake in your toolbox, depending on exactly how you want to back up your DVDs

5. bamf macrumors 6502

MacTheRipper is nice too if you want to be able to setup a long queue in Handbrake for encoding. MTR has some issues with newer encoding methods of DVDs though, so it works best on older DVDs (talking about the older free version here).

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yes, I should have mentioned that. On some DVDs that are copy-protected you'd need VLC to get around that (or something like that, anyway).

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use RipIt to rip DVDs and Handbrake to encode them in x264; works great. For Bluray… I won't even go into that. It's just freaking slow to encode them!