How Would Fallout 4 Run on My Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Dec 23, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I already checked the system requirements, and they seemed to require an even better machine... but who knows - could it take advantage of 8 cores?

I have a 2009, 8-core Mac Pro (2.26Ghz), 32GB of RAM, probably an HDD for Windows, and a GTX 660 OC.

-Thanks

2. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

if you are pretty forgiving then im sure itll run well enough. you have a 2gb graphics card which is the main thing. see my other thread, im running it on a 2011 imac which although its faster clockspeed than you, its a 1gb graphics card, and im really enjoying the game. firstly you can turn down the resoluation to 720p, for me on all low settings the game runs mainly fine and it still looks good. sometimes the FPS drops down to virtually nothing, generally when i enter a new area, and just waiting a minute before moving mostly means the FPS goes back up to 40.

also bear in mind that you do have VATS, which does help more in a low spec machine as if you have a big gunfight and the FPS drops a bit you can hit Q for VATS just to pause things and kill a few people.

if it wasnt such a great game maybe i wouldnt accept the limitations, but it is, the story is really immersive and there's so much to do and enjoy, that its well worth the odd slowdown.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Cool - thanks for the info. It sounds like my machine could run the game just fine, assuming I tone down the graphics some. Even with the graphics toned down, I'm sure it still looks really nice. My first obstacle will be to get Windows on this thing. I've been having issues with Windows not booting back into Mac and giving me a black screen and blinking cursor. Maybe it's a result of a bad disc.