How would HP laptopt compare to MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by piatti, Oct 29, 2011.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

How would this HP computer compare to a 15 inch MacBookPro, besides the fact that it is 17inch:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Fa...Gold/2992217.p?id=1218370115152&skuId=2992217

Also I am under the impression that laptops are more expensive than their desktop counterparts because of having to squish everything together in a limited space... so if I bought a desktop to have a fast multitasking experience as well as the ergonomic factor of the screen being detached from the keyboard, what should I buy and where should I buy for the maximum bang for the buck.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It wouldn't.

Don't waste your money, hell, don't waste anymore time looking at that page.

3. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Could you be specific in how it would be not as good as MBP

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The specs are much, much worse.

5. simsaladimbamba

It has a worse CPU, some generations behind the one in the MBP. It also doesn't have a dedicated GPU, it has an abysmal resolution for a 17" and it has only 10/100 Ethernet. Maybe you can compare the specs via the Apple MBP page?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I wouldn't even read past this part:Intel® Pentium® processor P6300

Really? A Pentium? That thing would not come close to performing like the one in your sig.

If you want cheap, look for something running at least a Core2Duo.

7. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

What does CPU and GPU do? If they are not as good, how does the computer function bad?

----------

Ok thank you very much. Pentium is very slow?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The pentium chip design is very old, and very cheap to just keep updating with slight speed improvements.

Intel keeps them around for budget PCs, but there is a huge performance difference between a Pentium and the Core family.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's actually not true. Pentium is a brand name just like i3 or i7, and it's still being used (shall not be confused with Pentium 4). P6300 is a Nehalem based CPU, hence faster than nearly any Core 2 Duo.

Basically, it's Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5 and i7 in that order.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, I know it is a brand, a brand with very little in terms of on-chip features. L2 Cache is almost non-existant.

On paper, it may be a little newer than Core2Duos, but a C2D will outperform it in real-world performance every time.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It will be quite a bit slower than the MBP. If you want to play games the GPU comes heavily into play there and the one in that laptop will be near useless. There are also programs that take advantage of the GPU but if you are not in some graphics, design, engineering or science field that won't matter much.

The computer is also thicker, smaller and less useful trackpad and has poor battery life. The air intake or exhaust is likely on the bottom so you can't use it on your lap, Macbook go out the rear so your legs don't interfere with cooling.

That being said if you just have basic uses for it like e-mail, web surfing and MS Office. Then it will do those tasks just fine. However this will be like buying a laptop from 2007 or 2008 so don't expect a long life out of it.

Now if you want something close to the mark try this HP Pavillion dv7-6195us. It is not quite as fast but is pretty close (the Macbook is 20% faster). It also has 1TB HD in RAID 0 (faster data). The cooling intake and exhaust is through the sides so it can be used in the lap. The battery life is exceptional and the weight is comparable.

Now whichever Windows laptop you buy clean out all the crapware and install a good anti-virus. One such as G-Data (paid) or AVG (free). These are the top rated in the paid/free categories. Get an anti-virus only not one of those internet security suites. They just add bloat and their firewalls will cause networking and auto update woes especially for third party programs. Avoid Norton and McAfee products like the plague about 90% of the virus removals I perform have one of these useless programs installed. I used to recommend Avast over AVG but they added ad popups and that is not acceptable.

13. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure if I just got trolled reading this post. You make no mention of what you do on your computer here. Your macbook pro will accept an external display although I can't recall the maximum supported resolution for that model. If you already own that one why the desire to move to the HP notebook? A budget notebook isn't really going to feel like an upgrade of any kind from what you're using now.

15. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

We have a dearth of computers in our house.

On the MacBook Pro I want to run iTunes, iPhoto, four different browsers at the same time with bunch of tabs, (maybe 30 different tabs total) have the torrent Vuze running, Skype and Word app running, Parallels and Final Cut Pro running without lagging.

Usually if I had just two browsers running plus iTunes it starts to lag ( but I just emptied a lot of space and have 66GB of free space now so it should be better... (I had like 33GB before)

----------

I was also thinking of buying warranty for it from square trade so I don't have to worry about it failing and having to buy a new one.

16. simsaladimbamba

Upgrade to 8GB RAM for less than 50 USD via Newegg, and you will have less lagging, especially with those applications.

Maybe you should look into a used or refurbed Mac mini (Intel) to use as torrent downloader and iTunes library. Btw, maybe look into µTorrent or Transmission, as they are less CPU and RAM hungry than the shitfest called Vuze.

17. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

[/COLOR]
    That sounds good. But the thing with MBP is it takes a lot of money to fix. It took me 800 dollars to replace the screen at first and then 300 dollars flat rate to get the battery replaced, the airport card changed, and the CD inserting place changed. They said that they would need to change the whole screen which costs 800 dollars in itself which sounded like a good deal but then it came with the same screen (had the dent on exactly same spot)

So I think I want to sell this one or not fix it anymore when I have to and then just use a laptop in the 300 range and get square trade warranty on it which would be affordable because of the low price of the laptop meaning also low price for the warranty, so I never have to spend money on computer again until I get rich.