Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Pen tool to draw shapes, add some drop shadow, overlay some paper textures, etc... Not an easy thing to explain, but a very easy thing to do.

supabooma

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2006
I'm sure you already know this but they are in fact photographs. You might be able to replicate the effect with the method MattSepeta suggested. Where you might have trouble is in the extremely subtle shadow detail as its very complex.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
As handy as photoshop's layer effects palette is, *if* I were trying to accomplish that composition entirely in photoshop, I would hand draw the drop shadows.

supabooma

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2006
As handy as photoshop's layer effects palette is, *if* I were trying to accomplish that composition entirely in photoshop, I would hand draw the drop shadows.

I agree. And I would also be sure to add some noise in the shadow layers to give texture and smooth out any brush strokes.

snowboarder943

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I agree. And I would also be sure to add some noise in the shadow layers to give texture and smooth out any brush strokes.

I agree too. Thanks for help everyone! I'm not necessarily interested in creating something like this, I was more so just interested. But it is now in my head for the future!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.