How would I determine if I have GDDR3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrono1081, Apr 9, 2008.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just got the 15 inch macbook pro 2.5ghz with a 512 GDDR3 ram graphics card. I dont mess with graphics cards ever so I am probably a bit behind but the hardware techs in my dept who all looked at my mac are convinced that I have a GDDR2 card. Anyone know of a way to verify this?

2. zaney macrumors regular

From the Apple website:
    All MacBook Pro models use GDDR3.

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

I actually don't know how to check what kind of VRAM is installed... ask the techs how they checked and can tell that it is GDDR2.

4. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

They said they can tell by the speed, but there is nothing saying what it is for sure. The specs on apples site show gddr3 but Its happened to different companies where there is a gddr2 put in by mistake because if I remember correctly there are two versions of the 8600 graphics chip.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Solved!

I found a utility online. Its DDR3. The reason they thought otherwise is because I guess the GPU is underclocked a good amount but it doesn't bother me. It runs games just fine I think. Thank you all for your help.

Also if anyone is curious the utility is called TechPowerUp GPU and its for windows.