How would I do this eBay thing..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wfoster, Feb 27, 2009.

1. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I have a item for sale on eBay. It's a laptop, do I need to end the item then make him send me the cash through PayPal then I send it out without using eBay?

Sorry if I seem arrogant, I am in a hurry.

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

honestly you should have probably looked it up before you sold an item.

you list an item on eBay
    it sells on eBay

the buyer sends the seller his payment through Paypal

upon receiving payment, you ship the item within the handling time you chose (most likely 48 hours)

and then message him on eBay giving him the tracking number, or delivery confirmation.

if you want the money out of your Paypal - you hit withdraw funds to bank account and in 3-4 business days it is sent to your bank account.

but instead of posting this.. on a macrumors thread.

you should have just looked it up yourself.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how to collect payment eBay

3. wfoster thread starter macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I think I didn't explain enough.

I am selling an item, and someone just offered me £170 for it over the Messaging. How would I sell it to him for dead on £170 instead of waiting for the bid to end?

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You have two main options:

1) Cancel your original auction and sell it to him outside of eBay (i.e. via email). Personally, assuming you can guarantee you'll get your money, this is what I'd do. (I'd ask for a BACS bank transfer however, not PayPal - with PayPal you'll pay fees, might have a hold put on your account before you can withdraw it (as you're 14 I doubt you'll have a credit card registered), get charged for 'accepting' the payment, and if he files a complaint about the item PayPal can take the money back off you).

2) If you want 'protection' (ha!) then end the current auction and set-up new a 'Buy It Now' on eBay for £170 for that buyer. Make sure in the description you include his user ID, the exact item you're selling and the specific terms you agreed (if any). He buys it, pays via PayPal and you're both 'protected', although it will cost you £££ in eBay + PayPal fees. Personally I wouldn't do this, PayPal and eBay are absolute jokes of companies - look after your own interests, not theirs.

I don't know why you're in a rush...he doesn't even know you've read the email yet. Don't appear too keen! And in your excitement don't forget to sort out things like delivery; insurance, time-frame, all these things add to the cost so is £170 definitely fair? If he wants it shipped to Nigeria etc., walk away.

AppleMatt

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Why can't they place a bid and wait? Because usually they think the item will end up selling for more than they are offering.

6. wfoster thread starter macrumors 6502a

wfoster

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

or he is from nigeria AND REALLLLYYY wants to get your item for his son, who is in boarding school!!

he'll send you a check though... and have you western union it back

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Scam.

You're 14.