How would I go about connecting a ps3 or xbox controller to my mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tymaster50, Oct 2, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

My PS3 controller is third party, it's a USB controller and my xbox 360 controller is wireless . I know there's multiple threads on this but some of them seem a little outdated. Seems I need a receiver or a wired controller for xbox, if i use my gamestop ps3 controller would I have to set anything up or would there be a preferred option for most games?

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I did a research when I bought a PC (PS3 look) wired controller. It works perfectly with N64 and PS 1 emu. I remember reading that the genuine PS3 wireless controller works perfectly but there is a way to connect it (google it). As for Xbox controller, I believe you need some ‘drivers’. You should be able to find it by google-ing it.

3. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

But how about the controls? Do I have to set them up manually or is there an option in most games?

4. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

WINDOWS:
    wired xbox 360 = plug it in and it will work, with all the keys mapped in every game
    wireless xbox 360 = you need a physical receiver that plugs into the computer via usb
    ps3 = only works though Bluetooth, needs a third party program link to be installed, you will need to map the controls either in game (if the game supports it) or in the third party program you used (using usb will not work for windows)

OSX:
    ps3 = works simply by connecting the Bluetooth, will need to remap the controls either in game or third party program (not sure if osx can do the remapping or not)
    xbox 360 wired / wireless (using receiver): use this third party program link

LINUX:
    ps3: works over usb, yay, support is built into the kernel, remap keys in game or in config files - or use third party program and Bluetooth for wireless
    xbox 360: works over usb (wireless over usb using receiver), support is built into the kernal

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

When I load the emu, there is always a controller setting. You will need to set it to USB then remap the controller there. For instance, remap PS3 controller as x for x, square for square, etc. Then when you are in the game, like any games, you can set your controller. For instance, in fighting games.... you would map X for light punch, square for heavy punch, etc.