How would I go about switching from a 6 to 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Sep 22, 2014.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I bought a 6 on Saturday at an Apple Store. I've decided I'd like a 6+ instead after trying one out. What would be the easiest way to do this? Would the store give me any trouble if I walked in and wanted to switch? Obviously inventory is low, so not sure how it would work. Also would my ATT service and plan just transfer over hassle free?

Thanks for any help!

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

there's going to be no easy way to do this. it's going to be completely dependent on store inventory, so if the store doesn't have any to sell they're not going to have any to exchange. if you really really want the plus, i'd return the six and buy a plus online and just wait.

3. JoshS macrumors member

If you bought via apple.com, just call them.

Explain what you want to do and they'll lay out your options.

I've generally had good experiences with apple.com phone service.

4. shaunmed macrumors regular

you'll be waiting a while, a long long while.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

THIS. Or buy the 6+ now, and when it gets here, sell the 6.

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Not necessarily. Depends on where the phone was purchased.

7. fort macrumors member

You do not need to worry about your ATT service or plan, they will take care of that no problem. As others have stated, the problem is that the plus is out of stock almost everywhere so you may have to use your prior phone or a "loaner" phone until stock becomes available. Again, check with the store where you purchased it and they will give you all of your options.

8. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

A few more questions. Will I need to give them the box and its contents (ear pods, cable, charger) if I make the swap? Also, I got Apple care with my 6. Can I just transfer that to the 6+ hassle free? Thanks

9. lsh macrumors 6502

I think they will return everything, then charge it all new again - including applecare otherwise it won't be associated with the right phone and that is ever so important.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, you will need to bring back the box and all accessories. It wil be a return and rebuy -- it's not like they have naked phones lying around for people who want to exchange models.

As for Apple Care, I'm sure they can take care of that for you, though again, it might be a refund and rebuy on paper, rather than a transfer.