How would I recreate this in PS?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by supabooma, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. supabooma macrumors newbie

    Feb 19, 2006
    Hi guys-

    This seems like something relatively simple to do, but cannot seem to figure out the best way to recreate the attached graphic. My goal is to have the black background as a separate layer. Any ideas?

    I've tried brushing individual streaks, and then apply layer mask. Very time confusing and tough to get similar results.

    How is a graphic like this created in the first place?

    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks-

    Attached Files:

  2. bluetooth macrumors 6502a


    May 1, 2007
    Looks like use of the filter "blur" > "motion blur"... and a gradient...just create the lines you are blurring on a separate/new layer.
  3. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 2, 2003
    Between a rock and a midget
    I would do something like...

    make a gradient background
    Filter>Stylyze>Extrude (set the block size pretty low)
    Motion Blur at 90 degrees
    Play with levels
    Burn, Dodge, Draw some black in to make it seem uneven

    something like that.

  4. bluetooth macrumors 6502a


    May 1, 2007
    This tutorial should work, it's the same general concept. Obviously use a straight, thicker line and you will need to exaggerate/tweak the filters/settings to your own liking.

    Don't forget to flip your line from horizontal to vertical because the wind filter can only blast from the left OR right not up or down, then flip your line back to horizontal once the wind filter is applied. Finish off by applying a gradient overlay.


  5. supabooma thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 19, 2006
    I don't know why I didn't think of motion blur. Such an obvious solution!

    Bluetooth thanks for the tutorial too.

    Thanks guys!

Share This Page