How would I set a static ip for remote access if I don't have access to the router?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pruppert, Feb 4, 2014.

1. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

I'm trying to access my iMac from outside a network. I do not have access to the router. What are my options for having a static ip accessible from outside the network?

http://www.noip.com looks like an option. Anyone have any opinion of that regarding security?

Any other options out there?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not use TeamViewer, its free and you don't have to worry about IP addresses

3. pruppert thread starter macrumors 6502

pruppert

I'm trying to set up SFTP access to some files on the iMac to be accessed and edited on a remote iPad with a native iPad app. Does TeamViewer allow for that? I thought it was just a VNC thing.

Any other options?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'd think with noip.com or other DDNS you still need router access to enable port forwarding.

Without router access... dropbox, etc is probably your best bet.

5. pruppert thread starter macrumors 6502

pruppert

Thank you for the reply. You're right, no-ip and similar options still require router configuration. Dropbox does not have adequate security for me.

I wonder is anyone aware of a service like TeamViewer, LogMeIn, etc. that has a app that one can install to make the computer reachable from outside its network. Though, I am looking for an app that would enable this for SSH/SFTP rather than VNC/remote desktop.

Anyone aware of anything like that?

Thanks.

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If the router currently has NAT-PMP/UPnP enabled you might be able to use Back to My Mac. BtMM establishes a secured IPv6 tunnel from one computer to another - you can run most any protocol you like over the connection. People use it with SSH, e.g.:

http://onethingwell.org/post/27835796928/remote-ssh-bact-to-my-mac

A.

7. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I tried this for hours and hours and hours. I finally gave up admitting that it's over my head. To many variables that all need to play together. NoIP was the best one I found for that purpose though. Apparently you can still hack dyn.com to get a free account by signing up and then canceling. As long as you come back every 30 days the host address remains viable. un tested though. I gave up and went with Teamviwer because it works. It's not the fastest but close enough for me. The worst thing about teamviwer are all the popups and windows it forces on you. But I figured out how to block all of them.

I even reached out to Remotix and said I'd trade them a good review on my site for help setting up the remote access with their app. Even with step by step instructions I still could not get it to work. lol

8. pruppert thread starter macrumors 6502

pruppert

Thank you. I had seen that previously, and it is very cool. However, it only works from a Mac that is logged in with the same iCloud account. No apparent way to get it to work from an iPad. :(

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not an app, no. Basically you're looking for VPN capability without having access to a public IP (direct or via forwarding). That's a tall order. That means you have to go through some sort of server, so it's going to need to be a service - not just an app.

Possible? Sure. Practical? I don't know; probably an awfully limited market - which means a high subscription price - which means low adoption rate. Screen sharing services like Splashtop Remote might be your best bet.