Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I can't imagine how an LED on the phone would improve my awareness over and above the sounds already played, and the notifications on the lock screen. If you want to make sure you never miss a notification, even with the sound off, consider purchasing and wearing an Apple Watch. It puts those notifications on your wrist and can alert you silently with a slight tap.

I'll give you a user story. I have DND automatically set for 10PM. I'm working in my office downstairs at 11PM and my wife sends me an iMessage asking for a glass of water. But my screen is asleep and I never see it. So I wrap up work and go upstairs, missing an opportunity to serve my wife, clear proof that Apple hates marriages.

All joking aside, it's a pretty trivial thing to do. They already do it. Just add a tiny lightbulb to the front panel and route the signal that's currently going to flash to said tiny lightbulb. While it's not a deal breaker for me, it's a good idea...less intrusive than dings and waking the screen and often gives you exactly the info you need in a simple way (once upon a time Apple was all about simplicity).

And while you're technically correct that one solution to this is the Apple Watch, I really hope some Apple exec didn't say, "You know, we could add a $0.06 LED notification light, but let's instead make people buy a $400+ watch to get notifications...solved!"

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
For those that think a notification light would be 'too much'...you could simply turn it off.

I really don't understand why some would view the notification light unfavorably.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I use to program different colors for different alerts on my Android phones. Call, messages etc. Still found them a little "toyish". I can see them being useful in a meeting or something similar. But, what are you going do. Turn the iPhone on to see you called or messaged? You can just check periodically by hitting the home button. That's what I do. I thought I would miss the feature, I don't. All IMHO--

Reactions: M. Gustave

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OMG... not this again.
LOL…yes we're off in to page 2 so far. The last one hit what, four pages or so? :D

As with cases there are two camps on this. I fall in the camp that wants a LED (and I have expressed why here a few times).

However, Apple has not seen fit to implement this (other than an Accessibility feature for the flash).

I am of the belief though that one reason Apple is pursuing AMOLED screens for future iPhones is to implement it's own version of a notification light.

Reactions: akash.nu

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
LOL…yes we're off in to page 2 so far. The last one hit what, four pages or so? :D

As with cases there are two camps on this. I fall in the camp that wants a LED (and I have expressed why here a few times).

However, Apple has not seen fit to implement this (other than an Accessibility feature for the flash).

I am of the belief though that one reason Apple is pursuing AMOLED screens for future iPhones is to implement it's own version of a notification light.

Mmmm, ok. I can see it. Switch to an AMOLED screen just so they can add a LED for notifications... :rolleyes:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Mmmm, ok. I can see it. Switch to an AMOLED screen just so they can add a LED for notifications... :rolleyes:
I qualified my statement. ;)

I said it was a belief of mine. I don't know anything so it cannot be a fact - even if my guess is right. And two I said ONE reason. Not THE reason. Apple may have many reasons and this one may just be a minor part of it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Amazingly having used both Android and iOS for years I definitely miss the LED lights on all iOS devices.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The iPhone already has this. It's in the Accessibility menu: "LED flash for alerts".
It's not the same thing. That just makes the flash light go crazy which is annoying. A subtle different colour coded notification LED in front is a much better implementation.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It would cost Apple next to nothing in hardware space and cost to include an LED notification light. I suspect that they exclude it because it would make the face of the iPhone minutely less clean.

I don't care either way. A light can be disabled for those who don't want it though. I have to admit that I remember the red light on BlackBerry and thought it was pretentious, needy, and annoying. Phone should stop asking for attention! Phones should serve people, not demand things they have no right to demand.
If you use your phone for business then you won't complain about them seeking attention.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Hmm .. perhaps my device isn't working properly .. if I step out of the room, and miss a call or text, should there be a visual indicator on the home screen that persists? I don't see that happening with those notifications turned on that you mentioned.
I see that. Seems it use to be where the lock screen stayed lit up for the alert setting. I know it would use a lot of battery if it did. The backlight is a huge battery drainer. I'm fine without an led alert blinker. It has the sound alerts. I never used a Blackberry or Android, so I don't miss anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.