How would Leopard run on a G5 ??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lwien, Jun 21, 2009.

1. lwien macrumors regular

I have 2.1 Ghz G5 iMac with 1GB of memory. I'm currently running Tiger but have been thinking about upgrading to Leopard. My concern is, is that although there are more features with Leopard, it may slow down my G5 as compared to Tiger.

Thoughts?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it will be fine

i know from experience.

it will run on a g4 (1ghx 512 ram) but thats getting iffy in terms of usability

3. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020

My Grandmother has been running Leopard on her iMac G5 since it's release and it has been running great. The performance seems to be as good or better than Tiger was. It's very snappy and quite usable.

Go for it. :)

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

As said, just fine. We're running 10.5 on a dual 1.8 GHz G5. Upgrading from 512 MB to 2 GB RAM helped a lot.

5. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I ran Leopard on a 1.42GHz G4 Mac Mini with 512MB RAM.

It was fine, but better when I upped it to 1GB.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm running it on a 1.42 GHz G4 with 512 MB of RAM, and it's still pretty quick. Some people have reported slow downs, some have reported speed increases, usually depending on what machine they're running it on.. But your machine is more then powerful enough to run Leopard smoothly. :)

7. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

It'll be totally fine with enough RAM. I have Leopard running on my G4 Powermac I bought over nine years ago (albeit with upgraded almost everything, lol) and that is perfectly usable.

It makes me sad I won't be able to run Snow Leopard on that G4. :( :D

Perhaps consider maxing out your RAM for the best experience, I believe your model can take up to 2.5GB.

8. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

It runs fine on my 667MHz G4 Powerbook (512MB RAM). I use it every day.

9. windowpain macrumors 6502a

hehe..I think you may have a different definition of 'fine' than most people. (I'm spoilt by my intel - its hard to go back.)
    I run it on a 800Mhz imac and it is useable but very slow. I ran it briefly on a 400Mhz powerbook but it wasn't pretty..

It would run a lot better on your powerbook with more ram, if you can get it cheaply I would certainly put another stick in there.

To the OP. I think the benefits of using leopard (time machine, screen sharing, coverflow, etc) are worth the slight hit in performance if you change from tiger.

10. macJC50640 macrumors regular

The processor speed is more then adequate on that machine but the RAM might cause some slowdowns, because of course Leopard requires more RAM then Tiger as we all know. I say upgrade the RAM and squeeze some more life out of that G5 system. Not that you would have to squeeze life out...I think that machine should last for 4 + more years.
    -Justin