How would the Apple Watch UI look like if Scott Forstall never was fired?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by techguy69, Sep 3, 2015.

1. techguy69 macrumors regular

techguy69

Any ideas, thoughts, or even renderings you guys have? How would it look like today? Yeah, although Lynch could have partnered with Ive to bring the current interface to the Watch, it would create a UI inconsistency compared to iOS and OS X. But anyways, any ideas?

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Unlike a lot of people here I never forgot what Forestall did for Apple. I think if he stayed he would have eventually come around to a redesign and personally I think it would not be as flat and would still have more character than what we have today. I don't dislike what iOS looks like today but a bit more depth would be nice.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I think it would have still included a good amount of heavy design that just isn't necessary anymore.

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Wasn't the 5th gen Nano designed when Forstall still ran UI? It's got an "open heart" watch face (although it doesn't show a virtual balance wheel like a mechanical "open heart" watch often does).

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It's hard to say. Everyone evolves and to some extent follows trends, so it's really impossible to predict what Forestall would have done but I do think it would have more dimension.

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How about you provide a mockup of what you think would be different? I honestly don't think about it when I'm using my watch.

7. jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

Kitschy is the first word that comes to find. Linen would be another. Who knows if Forstall would have continued to champion textures. Gradients, probably. But specifically, I think he would have fought against the back button and the current window title being nestled together.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Actually, simulating an analog watch face and 'complications' on a smartwatch is exactly skeuomorphism.

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

10. Batman89 macrumors 6502

My guess: not too different. The Watch is heavily (though not exclusively) skeumorphic.