How would the iPhone / Watch know what room I'm in

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by m11rphy, Jun 8, 2015.

1. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi guys during the demo they was moving from room to room and the iPhone was making suggestions accordingly how would the iPhone know what room your in. The only thing I cam think off is if there was some kind on HomeKit sensor in each room ?

2. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

beat me to it... was asking myself the same thing!

3. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

If I were to guess, it would let you calibrate it. Like "hit yes, when you are in living room 1"

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Wi-Fi + Cellular triangulation allows for GPS to be incredibly accurate. Coupled with HomeKit systems...

5. PilotC150 macrumors member

Not accurate enough to know what room I'm in. Maybe accurate enough to know if I'm on the east side of my house versus the west side, but it can't know that I'm in the living room versus the library when they're only separated by a wall.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

"Coupled with HomeKit systems"

7. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

8. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

As someone who installs, configures and tests location scanning systems with WiFi as the base, you can indeed pickup on location down to room level based on WiFi signal.

Not 100% accurate with one AP, but two or more in a smallish house, and your phone will be able to pickup what side of the room you are on, down to what corner you are in.

This may not use the same technology, so it may not have that accuracy, but to those saying it can't pickup what room you are in, it kind of can.