How would this outfit look for the described occasion?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asherman13, Jul 25, 2007.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

OK, so I'm going to dinner in the city (SF) with my fellow work/camp (it's the same thing for me) staff. We're supposed to dress kinda casual, like one would for homecoming. It's been pretty hot recently, so I was thinking something like this pink oxford (sleeves rolled up):

[​IMG]

Along with some navy blue shorts like these:

[​IMG]

Along with some nice leather flip-flops. Sunglasses, iPhone included. :)

What do you all think? I'm not exactly one to show off my chest...so I'll probably wear an undershirt. What color? White? Grey?

Thanks for the help!

2. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

I know you said it is going to be hot, I would still get a comfortable pair of jeans to go with the polo.

3. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Casual means no shorts.

And you never wear an undershirt the same color as your pants.

Best undershirt for pink is white.

4. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

No jeans. It's either shorts or slacks.

People have worn shorts to this event in previous years... are you sure I shouldn't do it?

5. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Jeans done correctly are casual. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The best rule for something like this is to go with the more dressy option. It's better to be slightly over dressed than slightly under dressed.

6. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

OK...how would I go about doing jeans 'correctly' so they work for dressing casual?

I guess what I'm asking is, what would you specifically recommend, bottoms-wise?

7. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Bottom wise I prefer grey with pink.[​IMG]

Jeans are done right by not wearing baggy jeans, wearing casual shoes[like ones in the image above], tucking in the shirt and wearing a non-everyday belt.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If it's hot, I'd go for shorts. I just wouldn't go in the ones he linked too.

9. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Those are slacks. Light-weight cotton. You can actually feel wind through them. Helps prevent ball-to-leg stickage.

10. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Those look nice. I want to buy a pair for myself. I really think the OP should go with pants instead of shorts. I am not a fan of long sleeve polos with shorts.

11. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

yes definitely not shorts and you need a dress shirt (mean a shirt that is not made of a wrinkled fabric) and pants (and Im also in SF so I get the weather thing) oh and wear shoes...

12. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Definitely no shorts and no flip flops (I'm an SF person, too).
    Pink shirt is fine but needs to be ironed or come fresh from the cleaners.
    Should be buttoned up high enough so undershirt or no undershirt makes no difference -- no open shirt or half buttoned shirt.

Nice jeans means they need to be a good brand (7, Diesel, etc.), have a straight, semi-tight fit, dark fabric (darkest indigo blue is best), not wrinkled, look brand new. Slacks would work, too, as long as they have a straight, contemporary cut and are not too formal -- dark grey would go best with whisper pink.

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I definitely agree... no shorts and flip flops. This is a dinner event. I would go with slacks or nice jeans and shoes. I do like the pink shirt.