How would you change notification?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eacron, Jan 9, 2011.

1. eacron macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I've read so many posts basically praying for a revamped notification system on iOS. I have never used an android or blackberry device to know what else is out there so I'm asking you guys what's wrong with notification how would you make it better??

2. milani macrumors 68000

milani

The blue popup bubble is a weak solution. It's inherently disruptive, it doesn't handle simultaneous notifications, and it forces the user to either deal with the notification or forget it, there is no way to passively acknowledge it while continuing your workflow.

I hope that the iPhone emulates the Palm Pre notification system. I think they got it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaqoGGdSfjI

And maybe that is what Apple will do because they hired one of the architects of the Palm Pre notification system some time ago. Anything would be better than the current system, but emulating Palm's approach would be ideal.

3. Small White Car, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The biggest thing is that there's no history.

If you're away from your phone and come back and dismiss 5 pop ups, you'd better remember what they were. Because if, an hour later, you're trying to remember what they were there's no single place to check.

You have to check mail...your SMS...your phone log...your other IM program...your Words-with-friends game...etc.

What else in the computer world happens once and then you have no way to review that list ever again? Very few things.

Also, it'd be nice to say, as an option: "give me a popup if I'm on the home screen, but if I'm in an app please show me a flashing bar across the top of the screen for 2 seconds." That would make game-playing better.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I have a pre plus for work and the way it handles notifications is the best I have seen. Webos is general to me is a better os iOS, it just doesn't have the hardware or 3rd support (apps, accessories) that the iPhone has.

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Oh, I hate that. I instinctively swipe before realizing I have a notification and then it's gone...

I kinda like how Android does notifications. It has something on the very top bar and you drag it down to view it. The only thing I don't like is that it is kind of difficult to drag that small bar down.

6. Eallan macrumors 6502

All of the other os's notifications are similar to each other and better than IOS. Wp7, Android, and webos all have unobtrusive notifications that don't interrupt your workflow. Ifs sad that everyone else gets it except Apple. Fortunately a jailbreak can fix it in the interim.

7. arn00 macrumors newbie

I want something like bitesms quickreply for text and IM, with elert for email, having to quit what you're doing every single time to read or reply to your texts and email is annoying, even on a faster phone like the iPhone 4.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm jailbroken and use LockInfo for my notifications. Get all my alerts/notifications on my lockscreen and a drop down menu showing alerts/notifications within my homescreen/apps. Also icons in the statusbar. Only thing I really want is apple to include a notification led light for missed calls/voicemails, etc..

9. bullseyetech macrumors member

bullseyetech

I would like it to be kinda similar to growl for the mac where it would be a translucent box and would appear at the top of the display and fade after 10 secs

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

That would be cool. The user should have the ability by tapping on the notification to go to the app that generated the alert.
    I would also like a new notification centre. The user should user an icon on the top right corner of the screen. Tapping on that should be a pop up window containing all notifications. From there we should be able to delete a notification or act upon it. This window should not close the active app, but just pause it. The app should dim and the notifications window should appear on the centre of the screen.

11. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

They need to make use of the lock screens empty space.

Showing new mail, weather, appointments, ect.

But I believe they need a bigger screen for all of it to fit nicely.

iPhone 6 we will finally see this.

Or sooner.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

13. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Maybe there will be an app for that.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

15. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I quite like that idea. Couple that with some sort of history of notifications as already mentioned and that would be much better than the current system.

16. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Well, not really in the notification field...maybe along the lines of it though but.....

Can we attach photo's while in the email? That is highly annoying:mad:

Little features like this make blackberry, android so dam tempting:D