How would you create a forum just like invisionfree?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by brian9271, Jul 16, 2008.

1. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Hey guys, today when I opened up Dreamweaver, I wondered whether there was a way of copying the look of Invisionfree and the setup, of how the posts, threads, admin cp, mod work?

Something I would be looking forward to when editing - image (oh and this is just an example, I just got the source of the front page)

Any ideas would be great, thanks

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

No, I'm not really thinking of stealing their design, well just by how they set the forum up, like how the Admin CP flows and all that stuff, not the way how it looks and all that, I already figured that part out already...

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OK, just checking. The image you have there doesn't seem to be of the Admin CP so not sure how it flows. Could you clarify what aspects you're wanting to replicate e.g., their table layouts, CSS stuff, some JavsScript behaviors, etc.?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You want to write your own forum software with all the features of IPB? Good luck with that. It will have taken a team of developers years to get to the point they're at now. There's no way in hell you're going to clone it.

6. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Uh the image was just an example, its only the source code I got, not the real thing, I'm not actually hosting Invisionfree, but yes about clarifying some aspects to what I'm wanting, well, you know how the way the Admin Cp goes, like all the moderating, and also the Forum Control - New category, New forum and so on... plus Skinning and Styles and System Settings, all that really, the way how it all functions, and relates to each other...

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What you "only" want to do is a major undertaking, it doesn't seem like you grasp that in the slightest :confused:

8. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Uh Ok...

Anyway what do you have in mind about Invisionfree forums, what do you know about the way it is set up?

Feel free to share your ideas

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I haven't done forum development, but will put my potentially helpful opinion out there. For moderating, you would need separate account types setup that have different permissions in terms of creating/editing/deleting threads. I'd lookup account management for tutorials. Adding a new Category would just be inserting into a DB table a new category name if it doesn't already exist. When displaying those categories, it won't matter how many they are so you just add to that category list.

It's really all about understanding relational databases, and would be a good place to start reading. It would take a bit of time going into too much detail about how a forum is stored in a database and how parts connect to one another. I have a PHP/MySQL book that goes into that type of stuff, but isn't something that can be talked about succinctly in a forum thread. I have come across tutorials online though, so you may want to search around for them.

10. Azurael macrumors regular

Errm... Why not just install a copy of IPB on a suitable host?

11. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Its not that easy, referring to anglewatt, just remember you need a team to set it up, and also, installing a copy of IPB would be copying, and thats not what I want, I just want to get to know how a forum is set up, thats all, anyway thanks for the help guys

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You don't need a team to set it up. You buy a licence, download the package, upload it to your host and follow through an install wizard. It's relative child's play, what you're asking however is far far from it :confused:

13. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

14. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Lol yeah, edesignuk you're confusing me

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

oh yeah, I'm confusing :rolleyes:

Whatever your day job is, don't give it up.

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'm confused too. The code is readily available right? Why not take a look?
    But then, I don't really understand the question either.:confused:

SMF is a great free forum and you get the code (mostly php), idk anything about invisionfree.

I've setup several forums using SMF and it is child's play, very easy.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK then...

Forums typically run on one or another of bulletin board software: vBulletin (what MacRumors uses), IPB, or others.

This software is purchased and installed, THEN the site owner goes about customizing the look, the administrative and public options, the forum names and so on.

So: To make a forum of your own, research and select a bulletin board package (commercial or open source), install it, and learn how to administer it. If you want the same control panel and admin options as the other site, buy the same software they are using. If the software needs a team to set it up, then that's what it needs.

It's not rocket science, but neither are there any shortcuts to learning and understanding how it is done. Your other option is to hire an experienced person to advise you or to do the work.

18. maxmore macrumors newbie

If you want to create a free forum, use the Forums-Free service: create a forum
    I have one and it's very good! 1GB of space for files, photos.. phpbb3.. and more.

19. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Thanks guys for your help, I'm looking forward to getting this package and maybe hook up some friends to help.

20. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Hey guys, its been a while, sorry for double post

I just got back to making websites in Dreamweaver from what I have learnt from school

I just wanted to let you know I managed to set up my own forum using phpbb3

It was fairly easy, well thanks for your help guys

21. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

After re-reading this entire topic and the confusion that ensued, then your update just now, I can honestly say I'd like to smack you into next week. :D