How would you describe Lion in ONE word?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by godzilla1200, Aug 6, 2011.

1. godzilla1200 macrumors member

What word would you describe Lion with, if you could only use one word? Why?

That word for me is INCONSISTENT

Lion has a lot of things that worked perfectly fine in Snow Leopard but not so much in Lion. One example is the scrolling and swiping. In Lion, if you choose to scroll with two fingers forward and back, then you cannot do that in Finder, then there are some times that in a website, if there is something you need to scroll to the left or right within the site, it ignores it and instead goes back (or forward) one page. So you have the scrolling (in whichever setup you have it) work it the way it wants in each app.

Other example is iCal and Address Book. You have an OS that is entirely grey, with grey buttons, grey menus, etc, but then, you make a 3D calendar, and a 3D address book that resembles a real life book, and on top of that you put "leather" so that it does NOT go with anything from the OS. Also FaceTime is an iOS app copy-pasted into Lion, without any resemblance of the Mac OS.

Another example is Mission Control. In Snow Leopard ALL APPS expose, you ALWAYS were able to look at ALL the windows, in MC you can't, they are organized in stacks by application, which is nice, but then there is no way to unstack them to look at all the windows either from one app, or all of them.

Those are only three examples of many many things that in Lion don't work well throughout all apps. I usually don't like many third party apps that don't go well with the Mac OS X layout, but in Lion the same Apple is doing that with their own OS. Is like each app was created by different developers without having input about how the OS would be (or how would look like)

So what is the word you would use to describe it, and why?

2. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. Amberfool macrumors member

Actually you can. When in mission control, swipe up with two fingers over an application and it will expose the windows. ;)

Innovative would be mine. It's a refresh for the system, shrugging over baggage the OS doesn't need, updating and remodelling the OS to make it better, and more user friendly.

5. godzilla1200 thread starter macrumors member

But they remain in a stack somewhat, and it only works with 3 windows, if you have 4 or more, there will be at least one window that you wont be able to see at all.

It would be great if when swiping two fingers up, you'd get an app expose, and if you swipe down (or some kind of gesture), you get an expose for all apps and not just the stack of one app. Mission Control could work perfectly if done right. It was a very good idea to group the windows by apps, but it is implemented horribly wrong

6. LionNz macrumors newbie

My Opinion

The best ever system. For me it all work wonderfully yeah thanks apple you are a genous:D.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Excellent

...For me it continues a trend of delight in Apple products. From the new mail.app to the new Finder attributes. All very very good.

8. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Promising...

The overall OS has some bugs. The new apps and some of the interface elements are great though. It will get better.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Agreed. As a Spaces power user, Mission Control leaves a lot to be desired. It just isn't well thought out.

10. lfc macrumors regular

11. stevemiller macrumors 65832

this! if they made the 2 finger swipe up in MC perform app expose, let users re-arrange spaces, and made full screen apps not be so wasteful of secondary screens, it'd be decent.

12. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

If-I-wanted-half-this-*****-I'd-use-my-iPad.

or simply, *****.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly! The more I use MC the more it pisses me off (especially since I don't have a multitouch trackpad on my MacBook). The most recently opened fullscreen app should be the closest to the last desktop (or better show up as desktops) not at the end of the fullscreen chain (furthest from the last desktop).