How would you do screen sharing if a computer has a router?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, May 27, 2010.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

So I want to use screen sharing from my MBP into my Mac Pro, which is at my workplace and always on. It is running on a wireless connection, connected to a Linksys router.

How would I go on about doing that? The router also has 3 other computers connected to it, so technically I can't login with just the IP.

Any help appreciated.

2. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

Why can't you use just the IP? You should be able to if you are on the LAN. From an outside connection, yes, they would all appear as the public IP address of the router. You could set each computer to use a different port though. When I use VNC to remote into computers, I set one computer to use 5900, another to use 5901, etc. You then could set up port forwarding in your router to assign each port to a specific IP address on the LAN. That way when you remote in from outside the network, depending on what port you use, you can choose which PC you want to get to.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks for the reply

I wanted to use screen sharing that's built into OS X (and hidden away, I don't know why.)

Do I have to use VNC?

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Screen Sharing is VNC, the only difference is that by default Screen Sharing is user authenticated instead of a single VNC password.

So the above advice is the correct way to Screen Share to a machine behind a router. Here are the general details:

1. Connect to public IP on the public port, for example 72.125.95.147:5901.
    2. The router forwards traffic coming in on 5901 to the private IP and port defined in the forwarding rule

Combining this with a solution like dyndns would be the most effective if you have a dynamic public IP address.

I personally find TeamViewer to be buggy and unreliable. YMMV.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

GotoMyPC

"Well known" TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Every Mac user should bookmark this page!!!

This is just a couple things I thought of that could help you.

6. illy123 macrumors member

Logmein and Teamviewer are much better than setting up a VNC server (along with dyndns, port forwarding, etc) for multiple reasons. My personal favourite is teamviewer.

Opening up a port for VNC protected with a password with a max length of 8 is very risky. I find that teamviewer is much more secure, much faster, don't need a client to access it (can control it through a browser) and has many options ranging from VPN (so that you can access files and even print to a printer) to the option of recording a session. (And it has an iPhone app).