How would you feel about OS X looking like iOS 7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Doctor11, Feb 18, 2014.

?

How do you feel about OS X looking like iOS 7?

1. I would like OS X to look like iOS 7

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. I would love OS X to look like iOS 7

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. I'm ok with it either way

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. I would hate OS X to look like iOS 7 keep it the way it is

25 vote(s)
    53.2%
  5. I kinda want it to just stay the same.

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

How would you feel if the next version of OS X look like iOS 7? I am one of the few that love the look of iOS 7 I went to apples web site every days after they announced it at WWDC just to look at iOS 7 for a while. I just love it. I don't have a Mac but I know I would be very very upset and angry if apple tried to make OS X look like iOS 7. It just doesn't belong on the desktop. I get the feeling apple wants to do it because they made the icloud pages, keynote, and numbers all look like iOS 7. They added a lot of white to it I just don't want apple yo try and make it look like that. What do you think do you want OS X to look like iOS 7?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

IMO I don't think we have to worry about that

3. sixrom macrumors 6502a

A dreadful thought. No comment.

If it happens I'll deal with it then.

4. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I think OS X will never look like ios 7, however the next release might include some ios7 inspired tweaks, which will probably be liked by most people since they are not going to be dramatic changes. Think of the icons for new iwork and ilife applications. Do they look like ios7 ones? Not really. As a second example, calendar.app has been revamped. Does it look like ios 7? Not really. You can see where Apple is going by looking at the UI changes they have made in Mavericks.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I hope it happens, and I hope it happens soon.

Using Mavericks now is like going back to use iOS 6. Don't like it too much..

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Aren't a couple of these options the same? Whats the difference between liking if it was changed and loving if it was changed. As well as the last two options, they both say that it should stay the same, one says we would hate it and one says kinda want to stay the same.

Anyways i would want it to stay the same, and i would HATE it, so i voted that option.

7. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I added them because I all ways get yelled at for missing some thing.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

now you get yelled at for putting too much :D

options should have been yes, no and neutral.

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Color me gone if OSX ends up looking or working like iOS. I'm not a fan...

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Agreed; Windows 8 isn't all that objectionable.

11. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

As long as we need a keyboard and a mouse/trackpad/whatever I think OS X will never look like iOS. Besides, iOS is built on an entirely different paradigm regarding our interaction with documents. Also, why would they want to have both OSes look the same anyway? A computer is not a smartphone. I do like the fact than iOS is "OS X-based", and it should stay that way, not the other way around.

12. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

One thing they do need to do though is lift the folder size limit. The fact that a 4 inch phone has no limit but my vastly superior 27" does is quite strange. And also makes me organize my apps in different ways per device.

13. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

I think OS X could use some elements of iOS 7, but certainly the entire Desktop OS should not look/feel like iOS. That's asking for similar troubles that Windows 8 suffered from.

But if there's something that is Better in iOS, and makes sense on the desktop also, then by all means. I've liked having maps on the desktop, and it wouldn't kill me if some of the similar apps in iOS/OSX shared the same icons (like notes) and I do like translucency and the effect of layers. (I'd like to see notification center be somewhat translucent and come on top of the side of the screen rather than push it all over, but that's a personal preference)

but then you have things like App Launcher (trying to be like the springboard), I can't remember the last time I open that on purpose. I just wish Apps would install in a more organized fashion in the Applications folder, I don't really want a whole separate launcher screen.

Just my quick 2 cents.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Having it look like iOS 7 would be a lot better than the iOS 6 look it has now. But I would prefer it much more if they gave OS X its own identity again before iOS had to come and spoil the party.

15. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well if they keep it maybe one day instead of being know as the iOS 6 look it can be known as the OS X look.

16. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

17. xmichaelp, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

10.10 is going to be different and some of you need to get over it, or just stay on Mavericks.

Some elements of Aqua just look dated, like the 3D "stoplight" buttons (is that what they're called?), and the loading bars and overall "depth" in UI elements. And some elements of current OS X like Game Center and full screen Photo Booth are just flat out disgusting.

I'm not upset at all that they're going to change it and I welcome it. Apple isn't going to go full iOS 7, they're not stupid and they realize what works on a touch screen and what works on a desktop unlike Microsoft.

I strongly think things overall will be flatter, but there won't be as much translucency and bright colors like iOS. And no, all the icons won't be square, I have no idea why all these mockups include that. iOS icons have always been square and OS X icons have always been unique, why would that change now?

So all in all, will it be flatter and more unified? Yes. Will it be bright and look like iOS 7? No. You can quote me on this and shove it in my face if it is and I'll eat crow.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

19. .X. macrumors member

I strongly disagree. Aqua looks great! I much prefer it to that awful flat microsoftish windows 8-look that they ruined IOS7 with.

The flat look might be useful on devices with small screens such as phones, but it looks horrible on the iPad and it would be even worse on the desktop.