How would you feel about the white polycarbonate being killed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ijustfarted, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

2. jellybean macrumors regular

I have a feeling Apple will indeed kill it, much to my dismay. I LOVE the look of the white MacBook. All the Pros look so uniform and grey and bland in comparison. The white one really stands out from the crowd.

3. iTattoo macrumors regular

iTattoo

Writing is on the Wall

They will either kill it, or come out with a completely new case design. Looking at historic data, there's almost always a much longer lag between updates when the model is completely revised or dropped. If they were just going to give it similar specs to the low end 13" MBP, they would have done so by now.

4. chipz macrumors member

How would you feel about the white polycarbonate being killed?

I think it is going to be killed and replaced with a new design. I hope Apple doesn't go verboard with it, though. It needs updating in regards to processor as the C2D is really out-of-date now. They should at least go to the Core i3 if not the Core i5. Design wise, I can't see much of a change. I do feel that white is NOT the color to go with. Because of the competition from other brands, Apple should consider offering the MacBook in various colors. I think it could reinvigorate sales of the MacBook. The video also needs to be updated to a more moder and capable card.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Reinvigorate? Apple has outgrown the PC industry in 20 straight quarters. As for colors, no way Apple expands one SKU to 5 or 6 with colors. Been there, done that.

6. wingfaith macrumors newbie

I've no problem with polycarbonate, in fact there are many of us out there that probably prefers it over the alum- well more so than mbp users think. However, i do have a problem with the 999 "magical" price point. Seriously, how can Apple still have the nerve to sell such a outdated machine with that price. Shame on them.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This post is confusing. You can't kill something and then come out with a new design of the thing you just killed. Also, you can't come out with a new design but not have much of a change... it's not a new design at that point.

I see Apple changing the MacBook line to some degree. I'm thinking it will still by polycarbonate if for no other reason than the sheer durability of the material.

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

No more cheap cracking plastic Macs please.
    The Air form factor should be the "new" MacBook.

9. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

10. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

It needs a re-designed body, the current one just has so many defects compared to other Macs.

11. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I don't really like the aluminum ones, mainly because the screen is too glossy, it's very cold to touch and then it gets really hot (smsfancontrol to the rescue:D) and because it dents. That's my experience when I've used my gf macbook pro.

I would like an black or other color than white (at least on the inside) no more rubber bottom and they could also get rid of the optical drive, it's only making noise when I power the macbook on.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

i've got an mbp. i love the aluminum body, but i've got nothing against the plastic one, and i would have considered the macbook if it had been at a decent price point. but, 999 for ancient tech, when i could spend just a bit more for a 13" mba or a 13" mbp?

what a shame. the mb is such a great computer, but apple refuses to adjust prices over time. i was honestly confused when i first saw it in the apple store on display when i started looking at switching to a mac last month. it just doesn't make sense. i thought the memory, chip, and ram specs were a misprint. lol.

anyhow, i am cool with the plastic, if the price reflects the difference between it and the pro line.

13. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

Then I will feel elated (and elevated) to possess such a unique machine. Somehow I always think the MacBook is the trendier of the brethren.

14. Laco macrumors 6502

I think the white macbook's will stay. I suspect that they are not being updated because apple does not want to give them the same processors as the 13 pro because the next time the pro models will be updated is in about a year (March or April at the earliest, link below). So they do not want to have almost identical specs on the 13 macbook and macbook pro models for almost one year because that would hurt sales on the pros.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/30...f-2012-and-previews-ultrabook-laptop-designs/

15. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

they should kill it...

i owned the first gen white macbook intel core duo (not 2 core duo)... nothing but headaches... the palm rest turns green after awhile... the top case had to be replaced about 3 times because the magnet on the display that would hold the display and bottom case shut would always crack the edge of the plastic near the palm rest.

it was good... but time to move on. LOL