How would you feel if Apple did this?

Acrophobiax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Speaking rhetorically what if Apple split their iPhone lineup into 2 separate lineups such Classic iPhone and iPhone. The Classic iPhone lineup would feature phones with the same design such as the 6s, 7 and 8 (Including plus models) and 4 inch iPhones with iPhone 5s bodies like the SE and with the Classic iPhone lineup they would continue to release these iPhones with the same design but with spec upgrades because a lot of people don't like the iPhone X design, then they would have the new iPhone lineup with iPhone X and newer versions of iPhone X (Similar bezeless design) the Classic iPhone lineup would be somewhat cheaper than the iPhone lineup due to more advanced technologies in iPhone X? But this is just something I thought about and I can see a lot of people not agreeing. But give me your thoughts! :) (this would probably unbalance the company but it's just a rhetorical thought)

sdwaltz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
It's actually not a bad idea - much like when Apple created the first iPod touch, they continued to make the iPod classic for those who liked that design, its functionality, and wanted higher storage capacity. I could see room for a 4.7" and 5.5" "iPhone Classic" that retains the home button for maybe, oh, 3 years or so after the introduction of the iPhone X. I bought the 8 Plus this year because I don't like the idea of not having a home button, at least not yet.

I see zero reason to have a 4" phone in the lineup in the future, however.

Reactions: Acrophobiax

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Speaking rhetorically what if Apple split their iPhone lineup into 2 separate lineups such Classic iPhone and iPhone. The Classic iPhone lineup would feature phones with the same design such as the 6s, 7 and 8 (Including plus models) and 4 inch iPhones with iPhone 5s bodies like the SE and with the Classic iPhone lineup they would continue to release these iPhones with the same design but with spec upgrades because a lot of people don't like the iPhone X design, then they would have the new iPhone lineup with iPhone X and newer versions of iPhone X (Similar bezeless design) the Classic iPhone lineup would be somewhat cheaper than the iPhone lineup due to more advanced technologies in iPhone X? But this is just something I thought about and I can see a lot of people not agreeing. But give me your thoughts! :) (this would probably unbalance the company but it's just a rhetorical thought)
Stop me if you've heard this before…

iBook/PowerBook.

MacBook/MacBook Pro

iMac/PowerMac

iMac/Mac Pro

Not a new idea, but I think considering Apple has abandoned this kind of thing twice now it's unlikely to happen.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
I'm sure I will not be the only one to look elsewhere for a phone if they don't do that. I refuse to buy a phone at that price if part of the screen is obstructed by such an ugly bar.

Although if they significantly lower the price (by at least 300), then I would consider it. Maybe.

sdwaltz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Stop me if you've heard this before…

iBook/PowerBook.

MacBook/MacBook Pro

iMac/PowerMac

iMac/Mac Pro

Not a new idea, but I think considering Apple has abandoned this kind of thing twice now it's unlikely to happen.
Your post is definitely true but I feel like it's somewhat of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

OP's idea here, at least as I understand it, is that a certain portion of Apple's customers are not only comfortable with legacy iPhone design (home button, touch ID, bezels) but desire it. The intention wouldn't necessarily be to keep the legacy design around forever, but to keep updating/selling it for a few years after the new technology is introduced - think iPod Classic v. iPod Touch - so that these customers still keep buying and upgrading for awhile.

The products you mentioned are simply the "lesser version" of the other, spec-wise.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Your post is definitely true but I feel like it's somewhat of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

OP's idea here, at least as I understand it, is that a certain portion of Apple's customers are not only comfortable with legacy iPhone design (home button, touch ID, bezels) but desire it. The intention wouldn't necessarily be to keep the legacy design around forever, but to keep updating/selling it for a few years after the new technology is introduced - think iPod Classic v. iPod Touch - so that these customers still keep buying and upgrading for awhile.
If OP is right, I see the split between the SE and the successors to the current line up.

Acrophobiax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017

The products you mentioned are simply the "lesser version" of the other, spec-wise.
Yes, this is the idea that i'm trying to push out! Thank you for pointing it out!

Reactions: sdwaltz

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Aren't they already doing that with the SE and 8/x lines? I fail to see what the issue is, much less how this is a "massive cop-out" ?