How would you get software from cd/dvds on a MBP-retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PJ-Graphix, Jul 25, 2012.

1. PJ-Graphix macrumors newbie

sorry if i am missing an obvious solution, but i am still weighing the pros and cons of getting a MacBook Pro with retina display. one of those being the software i have that require an optical drive.. how would i combat the issue that the machine doesnt have an optical drive?

2. blazeken996 macrumors member

Use an external optical disk drive. EG. SuperDrive, or some cheapo drive.

3. lazer155 macrumors regular

Do you have another mac currently? If you do the optical can be shared with rMBP over your network. Put the cd in the drive and it will show up on the rMBP as if the rMBP had it's own built in cd-drive.

Otherwise you will have to buy the external superdrive that apple or 3rd party offers and connect it over usb.

You could also copy the ios files from each disk and transfer them to a portable hard drive or flashdrive and run them all that way.

4. marddin macrumors 6502

Just search "how to remote disk" on google. You can share cd drives with another machine via network

5. arashb macrumors 6502

There's only 2 pros for the retina, screen and weight.

Top of the line classic will outperform the retina on Geekbench.

If you're worried about software you have on disc you should probably stick with the classic. But know that eventually discs are going to be taken out of the picture and everything will be static.

6. KevinC867, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Note that Remote Disc also can use an optical drive from a Windows machine. You just need to install some software on the windows machine (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL112)

After you install that, you just need to go to "DVD or CD Sharing Options" in the Windows control panel and enable the feature. Similarly, if you are sharing the drive from a Mac, you need to allow DVD or CD Sharing from the Sharing pane of System Preferences on the remote Mac.

7. PJ-Graphix thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your suggestions. i do not have one but my father has an imac that would be compatible. if i do decide on the MBP i might swing over his house and do that.

8. lazer155, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

lazer155 macrumors regular

Yep forgot to mention that. :eek:

You can still use a windows computer like KevinC867 said.